Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Kit

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
I noticed this kit uses a different test to determine TC and pH testing.

Is there a real advantage using this system compared to the standard style that comes with a TF-100?

Info:

This test kit combines the testing capabilities of the Taylor Deluxe DPD Kit, with the added bonus of the Taylor 9058 Comparator. To eliminate the confusion found in most color-matching test kits, The FAS-DPD Kit uses titration's to determine the concentration of reagents in your pool water.

Hurricane Gio said:
I noticed this kit uses a different test to determine TC and pH testing.

Is there a real advantage using this system compared to the standard style that comes with a TF-100?

Info:

This test kit combines the testing capabilities of the Taylor Deluxe DPD Kit, with the added bonus of the Taylor 9058 Comparator. To eliminate the confusion found in most color-matching test kits, The FAS-DPD Kit uses titration's to determine the concentration of reagents in your pool water.

It is a must to have either the Trouble Free kit or the Taylor complete FAS DPD...the FAS DPD is what you need to have if you are serious about your pool. Both the TF kit and the Taylor have the FAS DPD...It is important because it allows you to know exactly what your Free Chlorine is...that is the chlorine you have left to fight organics. It lets you know exactly what your CC is so you know if you have to shock your pool or not. If it is greater than .5 than you have to shock.

But most importantly It helps you in shocking your pool because it tells you exactly when you have reached shock level and it also tells you if you are keeping shock level up, and when to quit schocking your pool. Because if you think just putting in one bag of shock into your pool will take care of an algae bloom, you are probably going to be surprised. It is our best friend.

In fact the two kits are basically the same. I have the TF-100 kit and the Taylor kit...the Taylor kit I have is the step down, it just has the DPD chlorine tester...I use this once I am balanced and just use the color comparator...but guessing when balancing and shocking is not recommended.

Ok. So I don't need the Taylor color compare thing? The TF-100 has something similar?

9058_500x375.jpg

Hurricane Gio said:
Ok. So I don't need the Taylor color compare thing? The TF-100 has something similar?

yeah, your talking about the color comparator in the small blue box with the TF kit? I only use the Taylor comparator because I already ahd it and it reads in hues of red not yellow and I see the differences in red better. I also like that the comparator from my Taylor kit...which I bought before I got the TF kit...has a round comparator and is easier to hit the fill line than the smaller square one. At least for me it is.

cubbybeave08 said:
Hurricane Gio said:

yeah, your talking about the color comparator in the small blue box with the TF kit? I only use the Taylor comparator because I already ahd it and it reads in hues of red not yellow and I see the differences in red better. I also like that the comparator from my Taylor kit...which I bought before I got the TF kit...has a round comparator and is easier to hit the fill line than the smaller square one. At least for me it is.

So the yellow regent will show RED in this comparator?

Hurricane Gio said:
cubbybeave08 said:
[quote="Hurricane Gio":3pyt2wla]Ok. So I don't need the Taylor color compare thing? The TF-100 has something similar?

So the yellow regent will show RED in this comparator?[/quote:3pyt2wla]

No...I have a comaparator from my Taylor kit that compares the water to redish colors...instead of yellow on your small tester that came with the TF kit. I just don't pick up the color differences in yellow as easily than I do with red.

There are three different chlorine tests being talked about here.

The FAS-DPD test uses a powder that turns the sample pink. You then add drops till the sample goes clear. It measures FC and CC by 0.5s up to 50. This test is in the TF-100, the Taylor K-2006 kit, and the Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Kit.

The DPD test uses drops that turn the sample various shades of red, which is then compared to a color chart. It measures FC and TC up to 5. This test is in the Taylor K-2005 kit.

The OTO test uses drops that turn the sample various shades of yellow, which is then compared to a color chart. It measures TC up to 5. This test is in the Taylor K-1000, which is also included in the TF-100 kit.

The FAS-DPD test is the most precise, most expensive, and has the widest range. The OTO test is the least precise, least expensive, and best for testing chlorine or no chlorine quickly. The DPD test is somewhere in the middle on all counts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hurricane Gio said:
OK, so my TF-100 kit is all I really need and don't need a Taylor comparator to go with my TF-100?

I am learning guys!

right the only reason I have the taylor comparator is because I needed something the year before...that is what I bought. I use the taylor comapator because I can make out the difference between 2, 3 and 5 ppm better with the red color better than I can with the red...I use it for quick testing when I want to just see that the chlorine reading is at lest 5 ppm. Nothing special just preference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.