Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Salt Damage" to Cool decking - opinions?

1. Back To Top    #1

"Salt Damage" to Cool decking - opinions?

OK, a little background: we bought a foreclosure in September with a salty swamp, which the bank drained and filled but did not add salt. We have been using BBB for the past ~7 months, on and off considering putting salt in the pool and giving the SWG a try.

Attached below are pictures of the cool decking around the steps of the pool. A coworker of mine has a salt pool with destroyed cool decking, and blames it on the crystallization of salt from splash-out. With our pool, the damage is only present around the steps and the solar cover reel - locations that obviously correlate with lots of pool water on the deck.

I figure this is the result of some combination of three things:
    -actual salt damage that would not occur without high salt levels
    -normal deterioration/weathering of cool decking
    -crappy application of the cool deck coating

The pool/decking are at most 5 years old, probably more like 3 or 4. What is the normal lifespan of properly applied cool deck? What are my options for fixing this and increasing the lifespan of that fix? I would like to use the SWG, but without side effects like this.

I know there are several threads already concerning the potential for salt damage in improperly sealed stone, concrete, etc. I don't want to resume the beating of those dead horses, just looking for some opinions of those with experience and a solution to my issue. Thanks!
    Danny

[attachment=2:2w1ba1dk]cd1.jpg[/attachment:2w1ba1dk]

[attachment=1:2w1ba1dk]cd2.jpg[/attachment:2w1ba1dk]

[attachment=0:2w1ba1dk]cd3.jpg[/attachment:2w1ba1dk]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Salt Damage" to Cool decking - opinions?

Looks like poor prep/application to me. I'd be doubtful salt had much, if any, affect on this.

3. Back To Top    #3

Anybody else have any opinion(s)? Poor installation certainly seems possible. The coating is a max of about 1/8" thick in most places, and that seems very thin to me. Is it normally thicker?

If it's an application issue I'll just go ahead and vacuum up all the cool deck chips, add the salt, and forget about it for now.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have kooldeck thats about 1/4" thick. Its chipped off in spots on th edges. I've also been running a salt system for 5 years. Haven't noticed any problem around the pool. The chips are spots that didn't bond well to the concrete.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree, that's poor surface prep.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have about 1000 sq ft of cool decking all around my salt pool. I've had zero issues with salt water causing any kind of problems. I don't even get staining. My salt levels are around 3500. I'd say the cool decking you have was poorly done.
    Good luck,
    Garry
    18,750 gallon in-ground, pebble-tec, waterfall, 8' deep end, Shasta pool built 2005.
    SWG, 1HP Hayward pump
    Hayward 700 cartridge filters

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, that's the best answer that I could have hoped for. Thanks everyone!