Chlorine Tablets to increase CYA

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I have been using 3 inch tablets to use up what I have. My CYA is 20-30. When I do the test I no longer see the dot between 20-30, but closer to 20. How long after these tablets disolve, does it increase CYA. I see the powder stablizer takes about a week or so to work, so do these work the same since I would think they are powder based?

Thanks.

How long they take to dissolve all depends on how much water moves across them. Tablets in floaters tend to take longer to dissolve than tablets in the tablet feeders that are plumbed inline. The tablets do increase CYA and some also add a little bit of copper to your water as well.

Be wary of the "3-1" tablets by HTH - those contain copper.

If you are using the tablets to increase CYA - you should check the CYA every 2-3 weeks or so, if you are looking to cap it at say 50. If they aren't providing adequate FC just supplement with a little bleach.

The tabs dissolve slower in cold water than warm water, too.

Trichlor tabs add 6ppm CYA for each 10ppm FC, and there's no particular lag between them. If you know your pool size and the weight of each tab, you can use the Pool Calculator to figure out how much to expect total from your remaining tabs.
--paulr

Well I have used up all my tabs so I will check the CYA this weekend. Checked it last weekend. I guess liquid stablizer is the best or quickest way to increase CYA? Also since I will be using bleach for chlorine and acid to decrease pH, do I need to worry about my CYA increasing any after I manually increase it myself?

If you want to raise CYA instantly, use the liquid; but it costs maybe double the granular, which typically dissolves in a few days (although we say a week so people don't overdose when the stuff takes a little longer). Tabs are slowest, and if your CYA is really low you're better off adding the straight CYA. Most people here save the tabs for vacations, they are definitely convenient for that.

The only things that add CYA are CYA itself, trichlor, and dichlor. If you stick with bleach and acid, your CYA should be pretty stable over the season--may drop a little by the end of the summer.
--paulr

PaulR said:
If you want to raise CYA instantly, use the liquid; but it costs maybe double the granular, which typically dissolves in a few days (although we say a week so people don't overdose when the stuff takes a little longer). Tabs are slowest, and if your CYA is really low you're better off adding the straight CYA. Most people here save the tabs for vacations, they are definitely convenient for that.

The only things that add CYA are CYA itself, trichlor, and dichlor. If you stick with bleach and acid, your CYA should be pretty stable over the season--may drop a little by the end of the summer.
--paulr

I see that they have stablizer at walmart. Is this stuff safe to use or will it add other stuff. I think it is made by HtH or is it better to get it at the pool store? I assume the stuff at walmart would be cheaper.

Is this what I need to raise CYA?

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 40/I/12302

So when I am looking for this stuff what should I look for it to be called? I assume the stuff I posted above from leslies is the correct stuff? I found out it is called stablizer or conditioner. I also read when you use the granules you should pout them in a sock and put it in the skimmer basket? Why is this the best instead of just pouring it in?

According to the website it's 100% Cyanuric Acid so it's the right stuff. And, you're right the Wally World stuff is cheaper but it states that it's 100% Cyanuric Acid too, so it's the same stuff.

The preferred method here is to hang the sock in front of a return. The reason is that if you have a filter that requires backwashing you don't backwash a lot of your CYA out in case you had to backwash the filter while adding CYA. The reason we don't recommend just pouring it in is that it dissolves slowly and therefore sits on the pool bottom and could possibly damage it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
According to the website it's 100% Cyanuric Acid so it's the right stuff. And, you're right the Wally World stuff is cheaper but it states that it's 100% Cyanuric Acid too, so it's the same stuff.

The preferred method here is to hang the sock in front of a return. The reason is that if you have a filter that requires backwashing you don't backwash a lot of your CYA out in case you had to backwash the filter while adding CYA. The reason we don't recommend just pouring it in is that it dissolves slowly and therefore sits on the pool bottom and could possibly damage it.

Whne you say sock, you mean like a sock you wear or a special sock? When you do it this way do you just pour it in the sock, put it in front of a return? How do you get the sock to stay in place without floating away?

Also based off of my test results with the black dot disappearing between 20-30 and closer to 25, should I go with 20 or 30 just to be safe as to not add to much.

Just a regular sock like you wear. :) I probably wouldn't use a dark colored one though, and I probably wouldn't use the one I pull off after work this evening until it's washed. :)

I'd use 30 as a starting number and add a little less than the pool calculator says you need to be safe.

Bama Rambler said:
Just a regular sock like you wear. :) I probably wouldn't use a dark colored one though, and I probably wouldn't use the one I pull off after work this evening until it's washed. :)

I'd use 30 as a starting number and add a little less than the pool calculator says you need to be safe.

As far as putting it in front of a return, do you just hold it there and it will disolve pretty quickly or do you have to leave the sock there for a while?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yup. Depending on the water flow, about 1-3 days to completely dissolve from the sock and 5-7 days to fully register on tests.

What goal should I be going for? My thought is 40. But maybe I should do 50 since I will be adding less than what it says. Also how much less should I do. Example, it says to add 30 to obtain my goal. What percentage of that should I actually do? Also since I will be using granules instead of liquid, what is the best way to mesure the weight so I do not get too much or not enough?

Thanks again for all the help.

mynewpool said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Yup. Depending on the water flow, about 1-3 days to completely dissolve from the sock and 5-7 days to fully register on tests.

What goal should I be going for? My thought is 40. But maybe I should do 50 since I will be adding less than what it says. Also how much less should I do. Example, it says to add 30 to obtain my goal. What percentage of that should I actually do? Also since I will be using granules instead of liquid, what is the best way to mesure the weight so I do not get too much or not enough?

Thanks again for all the help.

Use a "target" of 40. Add what it says. You can always bump it later if you need to.

The Pool Calc has a section by the box and it says "by volume" that tells you oz, cups, etc. so you can use a measuring cup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.