Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine Tablets to increase CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Tablets to increase CYA

I have been using 3 inch tablets to use up what I have. My CYA is 20-30. When I do the test I no longer see the dot between 20-30, but closer to 20. How long after these tablets disolve, does it increase CYA. I see the powder stablizer takes about a week or so to work, so do these work the same since I would think they are powder based?

Thanks.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Tablets to increase CYA

How long they take to dissolve all depends on how much water moves across them. Tablets in floaters tend to take longer to dissolve than tablets in the tablet feeders that are plumbed inline. The tablets do increase CYA and some also add a little bit of copper to your water as well.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Be wary of the "3-1" tablets by HTH - those contain copper.

If you are using the tablets to increase CYA - you should check the CYA every 2-3 weeks or so, if you are looking to cap it at say 50. If they aren't providing adequate FC just supplement with a little bleach.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

The tabs dissolve slower in cold water than warm water, too.

Trichlor tabs add 6ppm CYA for each 10ppm FC, and there's no particular lag between them. If you know your pool size and the weight of each tab, you can use the Pool Calculator to figure out how much to expect total from your remaining tabs.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I have used up all my tabs so I will check the CYA this weekend. Checked it last weekend. I guess liquid stablizer is the best or quickest way to increase CYA? Also since I will be using bleach for chlorine and acid to decrease pH, do I need to worry about my CYA increasing any after I manually increase it myself?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you want to raise CYA instantly, use the liquid; but it costs maybe double the granular, which typically dissolves in a few days (although we say a week so people don't overdose when the stuff takes a little longer). Tabs are slowest, and if your CYA is really low you're better off adding the straight CYA. Most people here save the tabs for vacations, they are definitely convenient for that.

The only things that add CYA are CYA itself, trichlor, and dichlor. If you stick with bleach and acid, your CYA should be pretty stable over the season--may drop a little by the end of the summer.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    If you want to raise CYA instantly, use the liquid; but it costs maybe double the granular, which typically dissolves in a few days (although we say a week so people don't overdose when the stuff takes a little longer). Tabs are slowest, and if your CYA is really low you're better off adding the straight CYA. Most people here save the tabs for vacations, they are definitely convenient for that.

The only things that add CYA are CYA itself, trichlor, and dichlor. If you stick with bleach and acid, your CYA should be pretty stable over the season--may drop a little by the end of the summer.
    --paulr
    I see that they have stablizer at walmart. Is this stuff safe to use or will it add other stuff. I think it is made by HtH or is it better to get it at the pool store? I assume the stuff at walmart would be cheaper.

Is this what I need to raise CYA?

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 40/I/12302

8. Back To Top    #8

Whatever it is, it should say 100% cyanuric acid on the label. The brand doesn't matter.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

So when I am looking for this stuff what should I look for it to be called? I assume the stuff I posted above from leslies is the correct stuff? I found out it is called stablizer or conditioner. I also read when you use the granules you should pout them in a sock and put it in the skimmer basket? Why is this the best instead of just pouring it in?

10. Back To Top    #10

According to the website it's 100% Cyanuric Acid so it's the right stuff. And, you're right the Wally World stuff is cheaper but it states that it's 100% Cyanuric Acid too, so it's the same stuff.

The preferred method here is to hang the sock in front of a return. The reason is that if you have a filter that requires backwashing you don't backwash a lot of your CYA out in case you had to backwash the filter while adding CYA. The reason we don't recommend just pouring it in is that it dissolves slowly and therefore sits on the pool bottom and could possibly damage it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Or alternatively, if you dump a bunch in and it gets sucked into your main drain, it might clog up the pump strainer basket.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    According to the website it's 100% Cyanuric Acid so it's the right stuff. And, you're right the Wally World stuff is cheaper but it states that it's 100% Cyanuric Acid too, so it's the same stuff.

The preferred method here is to hang the sock in front of a return. The reason is that if you have a filter that requires backwashing you don't backwash a lot of your CYA out in case you had to backwash the filter while adding CYA. The reason we don't recommend just pouring it in is that it dissolves slowly and therefore sits on the pool bottom and could possibly damage it.
    Whne you say sock, you mean like a sock you wear or a special sock? When you do it this way do you just pour it in the sock, put it in front of a return? How do you get the sock to stay in place without floating away?

Also based off of my test results with the black dot disappearing between 20-30 and closer to 25, should I go with 20 or 30 just to be safe as to not add to much.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just a regular sock like you wear. I probably wouldn't use a dark colored one though, and I probably wouldn't use the one I pull off after work this evening until it's washed.

I'd use 30 as a starting number and add a little less than the pool calculator says you need to be safe.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Just a regular sock like you wear. I probably wouldn't use a dark colored one though, and I probably wouldn't use the one I pull off after work this evening until it's washed.

I'd use 30 as a starting number and add a little less than the pool calculator says you need to be safe.
    As far as putting it in front of a return, do you just hold it there and it will disolve pretty quickly or do you have to leave the sock there for a while?

15. Back To Top    #15

Take a string or something and tie it so it stays in front of the return. It takes it a pretty good while to dissolve.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Take a string or something and tie it so it stays in front of the return. It takes it a pretty good while to dissolve.
    So it will disolve through the sock I guess?

17. Back To Top    #17

Yup. Depending on the water flow, about 1-3 days to completely dissolve from the sock and 5-7 days to fully register on tests.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Yup. Depending on the water flow, about 1-3 days to completely dissolve from the sock and 5-7 days to fully register on tests.
    What goal should I be going for? My thought is 40. But maybe I should do 50 since I will be adding less than what it says. Also how much less should I do. Example, it says to add 30 to obtain my goal. What percentage of that should I actually do? Also since I will be using granules instead of liquid, what is the best way to mesure the weight so I do not get too much or not enough?

Thanks again for all the help.

19. Back To Top    #19

I assume this is the 10% liquid chlorine that I see mentioned here.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100186484

http://www.sunbeltchemicals.com/sunbeltlist.html

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    What goal should I be going for? My thought is 40. But maybe I should do 50 since I will be adding less than what it says. Also how much less should I do. Example, it says to add 30 to obtain my goal. What percentage of that should I actually do? Also since I will be using granules instead of liquid, what is the best way to mesure the weight so I do not get too much or not enough?

Thanks again for all the help.
    Use a "target" of 40. Add what it says. You can always bump it later if you need to.

The Pool Calc has a section by the box and it says "by volume" that tells you oz, cups, etc. so you can use a measuring cup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast