Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Difference in pH Testing Kit Readings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Difference in pH Testing Kit Readings?

I used the pH test kit that came with my TF-100 and get a reading of 7.2.
    I thought this was very low considering the pool company tested the water at 7.8.
    I then used the Pentair test kit that came with the pool and it tested at 7.6.
    (All tests have been conducted a couple of times with the same results.)

What could cause the difference between the TF-100 and the Pentair kits? I am inclined the believe the Pentair as it is closest to the pool company
    new in 2009 - 18' x 36' IG vinyl liner, 23,300 gallons
    24" sand filter w/ 1.5hp pump
    Polaris 280 cleaner w/ booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Difference in pH Testing Kit Readings?

The PH testing reagent can go bad if it is several years old, or has been exposed to extreme temperatures. The PH test results can also be wrong if the FC level is fairly high. The PH test in the TF-100 is reliable up to an FC of 10, and fairly close up to an FC of 15. Some of the other brands start being off at lower FC levels. Other than those two possibilities, the PH test in the TF-100 is almost never wrong. The PH test in the Pentair kit is based on the same color indicator and is fairly good, but it starts being off at somewhat lower FC levels than the one in the TF-100.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The PH test in the Pentair kit is based on the same color indicator and is fairly good, but it starts being off at somewhat lower FC levels than the one in the TF-100.
    I'm not sure I understand this. If the Pentair uses the same indicator as the TF100 (phenol red at the same concentration, presumably) then why would it be off at lower FC levels?
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by lances4803
    I used the pH test kit that came with my TF-100 and get a reading of 7.2.
    I thought this was very low considering the pool company tested the water at 7.8.
    I then used the Pentair test kit that came with the pool and it tested at 7.6.
    (All tests have been conducted a couple of times with the same results.)

What could cause the difference between the TF-100 and the Pentair kits? I am inclined the believe the Pentair as it is closest to the pool company
    The color samples can fade with age, especially if you leave it out in the sun.
    What happens if you cross reagents with the test kits?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    I'm not sure I understand this. If the Pentair uses the same indicator as the TF100 (phenol red at the same concentration, presumably) then why would it be off at lower FC levels?
    Taylor adds chlorine netralizer to their phenol red. That means the Taylor kit doesn't have problems with chlorine until the chlorine is at a higher level than the Pentair kit.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks John.
    — AnnaK —

Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Taylor adds chlorine netralizer to their phenol red. That means the Taylor kit doesn't have problems with chlorine until the chlorine is at a higher level than the Pentair kit.
    And this isn't as easy as it sounds. If you were to just add sodium thiosulfate chlorine neutralizer as in the R-0007 reagent in the TA test, the neutralizer itself and the neutralization process can result in a change in pH with excessive use usually resulting in a higher pH. So Taylor is very careful to use a combination of proprietary neutralizers to not substantially affect the pH up to reasonable FC levels of at least 10 ppm. It's this kind of care and attention to detail and accuracy that has us promote Taylor and Taylor-based kits (such as the TF-100).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    Taylor adds chlorine neutralizer to their phenol red. That means the Taylor kit doesn't have problems with chlorine until the chlorine is at a higher level than the Pentair kit.
    I just about a TF-100 kit and figured I should use up the generic test kit regents that came with my pool in February. Or should I use the Taylor ones now?

Thanks!
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh, go ahead! Splurge! Use your new test kit. You know you want to.
    — AnnaK —