The Cabana - A Work In Progress

FinsUp

Jul 16, 2009
Michigan
I have seen a few previous post(s) with people looking for ideas regarding cabanas / pool houses and so I thought I would share a few pictures of ours. It was mostly completed in the Fall of 2009 and should be fully completed by mid-May this year.
Our pool was installed in the Summer of 2009 after my wife and I wrestled with the decision for many years. One of the deciding factors for me was the realization that I could have a cabana to use for entertaining. :cheers: It was a done deal at that point. The cabana's foot print is 16' wide x 14' deep which includes the 4' covered porch. The building itself is 16' x 10' and is designed to include a small bath/changing room, a storage closet for chemicals, etc., and a kitchen area with a sink, refrigerator and a microwave. Please forgive the quality of the pictures (camera phone). Let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to share additional details. One of the last big decisions is what to name the place, because I have way too many ideas! Let the good times roll...FinsUp

Attachments

• img256.jpg
    img256.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 2,099
  • img229.jpg
    img229.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 2,100
  • img218.jpg
    img218.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 2,097
I'll have to add the "12 Volt Bar" to the list Bruce. I've actually been thinking about naming it in parts to be honest. I like the idea of naming the whole building "One Particular Harbor" in honor of Jimmy or possibly "Summer's Here" in honor of James. The walk-up bar, well, the possibilities are endless. So far my favorites include: Belly Flops, The Thirsty Perch, Soggy Bottoms, The Leaky Tiki, and Crocodile Smiles. I'm pretty sure I want to name the head "The Bare Necessities" and then hang an excerpt from the song in Disney's The Jungle Book on the wall behind the stool. You may recall that Baloo is singing to Mowgli and there's a part that goes:

So just try and relax, yeah cool it
Fall apart in my backyard
'Cause let me tell you something little britches
If you act like that bee acts, uh uh
You're working too hard.

Whatever you end up naming it, Fins, I'm sure you'll be having a good time :cheers: A little Jimmy playing, or perhaps some steel drums; life is good!

Great looking project! I like the Jungle Book thought also; very cool :goodjob:

Okay, so maybe my "finished by mid-May" statement was a little aggressive. I'm now going to hedge a little bit and revise to mid-June to account for trying to get it all painted as well. Following are a couple of pictures taken with the camera phone late last night. The cabinets were salvaged from a kitchen re-model at the office where I work. You can see that I had to purchase a small stock cabinet to get the configuration the way I wanted. The cabinets are all going to be painted out white, so no big deal. The countertops are going to be a laminate that DW picked out, which she says reminds her of the beach. The refrigerator will go into the space to the right of the upper cabinets, and there is a ceiling fan in the middle of the vaulted area that's not included in the pictures. The wall material (in case you can't tell from these horrible pictures) is beadboard paneling. The DW wants to paint out all the trim and the ceiling and cabinets solid white, then do a whitewash finish on all of the walls so the wood sort of shows through to make it looked aged. Anyways, that's the plan & progress for now. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• img315.jpg
    img315.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 1,859
  • img313.jpg
    img313.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 1,860
  • img316.jpg
    img316.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 1,861

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are inspiring me Fins...
But, alas, I think I'm stuck with what I have..which works and is already constructed. I have used up all my honey-do points on the new decking this year.

Poor Marg and Rita (the twin wooden flamingos) will just have to make do with the mini fridge and potty...

poolgirl22 said:
You are inspiring me Fins...
But, alas, I think I'm stuck with what I have..which works and is already constructed. I have used up all my honey-do points on the new decking this year.
Thanks for the kind words regarding the cabana, and I hear what you're saying about using what you already own. That's why you won't find a fancy flat screen tv in my house yet. My old Sony CRT TV's refuse to give up the ghost. :(

Speaking of projects, did you ever post any completed pictures of your deck makeover project? If so I missed 'em.

I have taken the pics as of last sunday but haven't had a moment to resize and upload yet. Hopefully will get that done today or tomorrow.

On the flat screen...I'm waiting on the SANYO Wally World special to give up. So far, I think I have a better chance of getting a bar counter outside...lol!

Great looking cabana! We were thinking along the same lines and was wondering about what does this cost and are you on a septic tank or city sewage ? Also how far away are you away from the sewage connection? Sorry for all the questions just curious and figured you had all the answers. Thanks for any help.

Well it's been a number of days since I've been on TFP and it looks like I've fallen a little behind on the cabana post so please accept my apologies.

clyopoolboy said:
Great looking cabana! We were thinking along the same lines and was wondering about what does this cost and are you on a septic tank or city sewage ? Also how far away are you away from the sewage connection? Sorry for all the questions just curious and figured you had all the answers. Thanks for any help.
Well, let's see. What something costs is always a tricky question to answer because there are so many factors that can impact the final cost of any given project: DIY or Professional, Cost of Materials, Building Codes, etc. We contracted out a large majority of the work on our cabana to the gentleman who built our home. I asked him to build it like a miniature version of our house (with some exceptions) but it's fully insulated, upgraded siding, 30 year shingles, hot & cold water, wired for speakers & satellite tv, etc. When it's all said and done we'll probably be right around $9k or so. The sewage & waste water (btw - we live in the country) is handled by a separate, smaller sanitary system that we installed exclusively for the cabana because the main one was way too far away. Anyway, I hope that helps a little.

Ashbourne said:
Gorgeous cabana! Thanks for the pictures!
Thanks for the compliments.

dd50 said:
Nice job. Wish I had one of them to hide from my kids. All I would need is a air mattress and I would be all set.
I sneak out there in the evening quite a bit. Once the refrigerator gets installed I may never leave! :cheers:

rockyboy said:
Awesome cabana and can't wait to see more pics! Just wondering what you used as a foundation? Can't really tell from the pics. Thanks!!!!
The 'bana (as my 3 year old calls it) is built on a 3.5" fibermesh concrete slab foundation with an 8" footer around the perimeter. It was poured the same day they poured our pool deck and has a light broomed finish for traction. You can see the concrete floor in some of the pictures. We plan to leave the floor as is for now and just throw a couple of small outdoor rugs in front of the sink, etc. to start. I may try an acid stain on the floor someday to jazz it up but it's plain old gray for now. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.