The Cabana - A Work In Progress

Very nice. And to think up until NOW I was happy that I got a pool shed this year - gee, thanks! I kid, it's an awesome cabana. You will get so much enjoyment from that!

FinsUp said:
bk406 said:
Ok, I'm impressed!

BTW, did you run the sewer line out there from the house or was it in the vicinity in the first place?

Actually, neither. We installed a 2nd (smaller of course) sanitary system for the pool house.

if you don't mind, can you give details on this smaller system? i am on septic and would like to include a toilet in our pool/poolhouse build. the only thing i have come up with is a mascerating toilet (google sani-flo). thanks!

armstrr said:
if you don't mind, can you give details on this smaller system? i am on septic and would like to include a toilet in our pool/poolhouse build. the only thing i have come up with is a mascerating toilet (google sani-flo). thanks!
In what part of the country are you located? Is it safe to assume that you have both well & septic? What are the zoning ordinances like where you live?

Okay, it's basically the end of June and the cabana is not quite complete. It's very close, but I still have a few little odds & ends like building the chalkboards for the inside of the bar doors and installing a rod with a curtain to hide the contents of the utility closet. Here are some updated pictures to share...

Attachments

• img343.jpg
    img343.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 239
  • img342.jpg
    img342.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 239
  • img337.jpg
    img337.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 239
Lershac said:
Jeez the end of June and 70 deg! Its like 95 here with a heat index over 100. I was wondering where the a/c unit would be but I see you don't need one.
Yeah, that picture was taken at 7:00 this morning, but I hear what you're saying. It was 85 and extremely muggy up here yesterday, but nothing like Louisiana, where I had the pleasure of spending a memorable week in May many years ago as a wild, and then single, guy.

That is so darn beautiful...great job!

Love the tiki family and the kids' cabana too! Thanks for the pictures. One of these days perhaps we'll have something as grand...but next year our big project is a new kitchen, so it will have to wait a while.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ashbourne said:
That is so darn beautiful...great job!

Love the tiki family and the kids' cabana too! Thanks for the pictures. One of these days perhaps we'll have something as grand...but next year our big project is a new kitchen, so it will have to wait a while.
Thanks for the compliments! We found the tiki family at an art fair in our area last year and just knew it would look great as part of the cabana decorations. Best of luck on your kitchen project, which is better than a cabana anyway!

Bugman1400 said:
Where did you get the plans?
We just kind of made it up as we went. I had drawn a front elevation sketch a few years back when we started talking about putting in the pool and we stayed pretty true to that. The size of the building and the location was decided on the fly while talking it over with our pool builder on the first day of the pool build. Then the cabana contractor and I decided how to best lay out the interior based on the footprint we had to work with, the front elevation that I wanted to follow, the cabinets that I had already salvaged a few years back, etc. The equipment lean-to on the south side of the building wasn't originally planned for, but kind of happened on the fly as well. This is the first pool season that the cabana will be really put to use, so we'll get a good idea how well it functions. The Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker works great though, so any regrets can quickly be forgotten. :cheers:

NCFlyersFan said:
All I can say is WOW. Great job. :goodjob:

When are you inviting all of your TFP friends over for the "Break in the Tiki Palace" pool party :party: ????
Thanks! This Friday. Bring a fifth of flavored rum for the FCM, a laid back attitude, and a taste for Buffett-esque style music and you're in! :whoot:

I like the white-wash effect on the walls -- what product was used to get that?

Also, you mentioned blackboards -- there's a blackboard paint that seems to be popular on HGTV. I've never used it but have seen it at HD or Lowes and it might be worth considering.

Shorelover said:
I like the white-wash effect on the walls -- what product was used to get that?

Also, you mentioned blackboards -- there's a blackboard paint that seems to be popular on HGTV. I've never used it but have seen it at HD or Lowes and it might be worth considering.
Thanks - we used Minwax Whitewash Pickling Stain on the walls.

As for the blackboards, you hit the nail on the head and that's exactly what I'm using. I have all the pieces cut and I'm just working on painting the main boards with the blackboard paint, and the trim pieces white. Once it's all done and installed I'll post some pictures to show how they turned out.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments on the cabana. I started on the chalkboards for the bar doors, but then lost all my motivation after the Margaritaville FCM showed up and the weather turned hot! I did muster up enough energy to change out the standard cfl bulbs that came with the ceiling fan to some neon blue cfl's - it gives the cabana a pretty cool vibe don't you think?

Attachments

• IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 106
That's an amazing project! What a great job you have done with everything. I would like to revisit the sanitary system question asked earlier by armstrr if possible. We have well water, but county sewer lines. Would your setup work for us, do you think? My DH can build the building part, but we were kinda stumped about a way to add the sewer and water without a major project tying into the house. Any input would be a great help! Enjoy that cabana, summer is definately here! (and have a margarita for me!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.