peristaltic pump for chlorine

kg1953

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2009
After reading some of the liquidator threads and having issues with it last year, I am thinking of using a peristaltic pump for chlorine. I understand why it would smell if the container were large and semi-open but why not use a low flow pump and tubing from the bottle and inject it into the line before the pump like the LQ does? I can adjust the chlorine flow at the pump if more is required.
I have found a reasonably priced pump that should work but want the "expert" advice of the home pool world.
Thanks.

A peristaltic pump can work quite well. They tend to be more expensive than other choices, so not very common in residential situations. They can also require some regular maintenance, but usually nothing complicated, typically just replacing the tubing when it fails.

If you do go this route, inject the chlorine after all the equipment, especially after the heater, if you have one. It won't make a huge difference in most cases, but every now and then it can save you from damaging the heater.

Over the past three years the only maintenance I've had to do on mine is replacing the fitting where the tubing from the chlorine pump goes in to the pool plumbing. My dogs end up busting about one a year.

Not sure about the smell. I have a ~20 Gal sealed drum that holds my bleach. The only time I smell anything is if I'm trying to look down inside it for whatever reason.

I think I put about $50 into the setup and maybe a couple hours of time (lots more time if you count what I spent finding the smokin' deal I got on the pump).

Once I get everything dialed in its pretty hands off for the rest of the season. If I'm at the store I grab a few jugs of bleach and dump 'em in the drum when I get to it.

I'm definitely interested in this as well. A big AG pool sure goes through a lot of bleach, and liquid chlorine is not really available in our area. Would I want to inject the chlorine after my solar panel system? Other than dogs (not a surprise), what other things affect the hoses?
And wow, $50 for the pump! I just did a search, and the cheapest I found is $170. http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/produ ... 16010&pfx=
Don't know enough to know if that one is even applicable to this situation. We have dabbled with the notion of a chlorine feeder, now that solar is entering final phases, so would appreciate any links to useful articles/info on how they work and how to build a system.

You can pick up used pumps quite inexpensively on eBay. You often need to wait a little while checking regularly, but they do show up. Personally, I like getting all new equipment, but not everyone feels that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.