source for economical 20a outdoor timer?

If you look at the sheet you linked to it says right on it, 40 amp. resistive, inductive, tungsten. Inductive is a motor. It's also a transformer but for your use it means motor. If you keep reading it specifically states that it's for up to a 2hp @ 120vac or 5hp motor @ 240vac. I think that means you're good to go.

Bama Rambler said:
If you look at the sheet you linked to it says right on it, 40 amp. resistive, inductive, tungsten. Inductive is a motor. It's also a transformer but for your use it means motor. If you keep reading it specifically states that it's for up to a 2hp @ 120vac or 5hp motor @ 240vac. I think that means you're good to go.

excellent. obviously I'm not familiar with those terms :)

I'm comfortable wiring simple electrical items, such as lights, wall outlets, ceiling fans, etc. Just don't know the technical side of it all that well so had to ask first.

It looks like those types of timers requires to cut the plug off the cable and wire it directly to the timer.

Have you seen any compatible timers that we are discussing here that have a receptacle to just plug into?

Most every company makes a low current timer with a receptacle but the higher current models just have terminal screws. You could add a receptacle but keep in mind that it may be against code in your area to do so for a pool pump. Some code enforcers look at our sized pools as portable and some classify them as permanent.

If you have a Pentair Dynamo nominal 2HP w/standard 115V plug, its nominal Full Load Amps is 16. It has a standard 15Amp plug, so I would just get a 15 Amp timer, connect your outlet to it and be done. Lowes(t) and HP sell outdoor timers that would work also, you plug it into your outlet, and the pump into it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.