Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: source for economical 20a outdoor timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

source for economical 20a outdoor timer?

My 2hp pump has a label that says 18A on it. It's not a two speed.

Most outdoor timers only handle up to 15a.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced timer that will handle 18+ amps?
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: source for economical 20a outdoor timer?

I'd try one that is designed to switch two circuits (like the heater and pump) and split the load between both switches.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Your best bet is going to be an Intermatic T-10xx timer. They're designed for motor loads and most cheap versions are designed only for resistive loads.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Your best bet is going to be an Intermatic T-10xx timer. They're designed for motor loads and most cheap versions are designed only for resistive loads.
    I found a T101:

http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/files ... glish.ashx

The description says it's for resistive loads though.

Will it say specifically say for 'motor' loads in the instruction sheet?
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

5. Back To Top    #5

If you look at the sheet you linked to it says right on it, 40 amp. resistive, inductive, tungsten. Inductive is a motor. It's also a transformer but for your use it means motor. If you keep reading it specifically states that it's for up to a 2hp @ 120vac or 5hp motor @ 240vac. I think that means you're good to go.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    If you look at the sheet you linked to it says right on it, 40 amp. resistive, inductive, tungsten. Inductive is a motor. It's also a transformer but for your use it means motor. If you keep reading it specifically states that it's for up to a 2hp @ 120vac or 5hp motor @ 240vac. I think that means you're good to go.
    excellent. obviously I'm not familiar with those terms

I'm comfortable wiring simple electrical items, such as lights, wall outlets, ceiling fans, etc. Just don't know the technical side of it all that well so had to ask first.

It looks like those types of timers requires to cut the plug off the cable and wire it directly to the timer.

Have you seen any compatible timers that we are discussing here that have a receptacle to just plug into?

7. Back To Top    #7

Most every company makes a low current timer with a receptacle but the higher current models just have terminal screws. You could add a receptacle but keep in mind that it may be against code in your area to do so for a pool pump. Some code enforcers look at our sized pools as portable and some classify them as permanent.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

If you have a Pentair Dynamo nominal 2HP w/standard 115V plug, its nominal Full Load Amps is 16. It has a standard 15Amp plug, so I would just get a 15 Amp timer, connect your outlet to it and be done. Lowes(t) and HP sell outdoor timers that would work also, you plug it into your outlet, and the pump into it.
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots