will mulch around bottom of agp cause sides to rust?

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
I know a lot of people bury AGP and I've always wondered if that shortens the life of the walls by causing rust.

My AGP is not buried. I'm trying to find an ECONOMICAL way to landscape around it. I can't afford a lot right now but would like some other than the dirt ring around the pool. The ground is slightly uneven around it with one side about an inch higher (the level of the ground).

I'm considering mulch, but concerned it may hold too much moisture around the bottom couple of inches of the pool wall.

I've also thought about gravel but don't have a cheap source around here and don't want white gravel that will discolor and show up stray blades of grass that get blown on it after mowing.

Any suggestions for the most economical way to 'pretty up' around the pool? I have a deck about 8 feet wide on one side but other than that, there's nothing else around the pool (except for the pump/filter).

I have been toying with the idea of doing decorative mulch as well, as that's what we have around the rest of our house...but it does retain moisture...I may landscape around the pool with river rock, or maybe pea gravel instead. We'll see...whatever is cheaper at the time!! ) If you want, you could always lay down some landscape plastic up the side of the pool a bit and into your landscaping area BEFORE you put down mulch and that will help keep it away from you pool wall.

I used river rock from the river. I hand picked every single one of them and packed them up myself to cut the cost :lol: the labor was hideous though. :shock:

Casey said:
I used river rock from the river. I hand picked every single one of them and packed them up myself to cut the cost :lol: the labor was hideous though. :shock:

Looks good. But wow... yeah that would be a lot of work. I got a bad back too so it would take quite awhile :) but yeah I think I could get some like that for free :)

Did you put plastic under? Do you have a problem with weeds growing through them?

Have you looked into the fake mulch? Lasts much longer than regular, and looks nice too.
Not too expensive, It's about 20 dollars a bag. the bags are bout the same size as regular mulch.
The only catch is that when it its past its prime you have to remove it rather than just addingf to it like regular decomposed mulch. I believe it has a 7 year lifespan.
You could leave it, It just fades color.

rastoma said:
Casey said:

Looks good. But wow... yeah that would be a lot of work. I got a bad back too so it would take quite awhile :) but yeah I think I could get some like that for free :)

Did you put plastic under? Do you have a problem with weeds growing through them?

Um. I recycled my old liner as weed barrier. :mrgreen: Works great! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.