New vinyl pool - leaks

acguy

Apr 20, 2010
Hey Guys, thanks for the great site.

We had an inground vinyl pool installed in January. Now that we are getting to ready to use it I have a few things I've noticed.

1. Discovered pool loosing water at 3/4 inch a day. PB sent leak finders right away. They found two small holes in liner. 1 in the bottom of shallow end corner. 2nd in side wall. Described as small round holes the size of a BB.

Question.. Is it unreasonable to expect liner replacement or should I allow PB by with just patching liner?

2. There is a crease in the shallow end floor. It feels as the vermiculite is raised in this area.

Question... Is this going to create a problem? Should I have PB remove liner and smooth vermiculite?

3. The pool has 2' radius corners. The liner does not rest tight against the wall in the corners. Is this correct installation?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.

Here's an answer from someone who knows nothing about IG vinyl pools. Mine is an AGP.

1. For a pool that was installed in January and hasn't yet had even one season I would want a replacement liner rather than patches.

2. My understanding is that creases on the bottom can be serious whereas creases/wrinkles on the sides are not a big deal. For such a new pool I would want my pool bottom to be smooth and wrinkle free.

3. Sounds like they didn't suck out the air. IMO, that's not correct installation.

Just my opinions though, for what they're worth.

Anna and flyweed are correct :( , this is an install problem and should be dealt with ASAP!

Do not accept a patch, especially multiple patches, on a new liner unless the warranty on the patch will outlive the liner!

YES!! Have the PB repair the floor - make sure that the pool is usable, to your satisfaction, before the PB's warranty runs out!!

As for the corners, if the liner is out ~ 1/4 - 1/2" in the corners ABOVE the waterline, I'd call that an acceptable install - if it's that far out 4" below the waterline, the liner wasn't cut right for your pool, or the liner was installed 'crookedly' (how does the seam match up going into the deep end?)

I've been dropping liners for 20+ years and yours doesn't sound like it was done correctly :cry: The thing to do is talk to the PB and express your concerns and see what he is willing to do (be reasonable - NOT accusing :hammer: ). Bounce what he says off us and we'll help you reach a mutually acceptable result for you and the PB :cheers:

Again, welcome to TFP :goodjob:

Thanks for replies. We talked to the PB yesterday and he is "reviewing" our warranty. He is to call back today.

I guess the issue with the corners was a bit premature on my part. I checked them yesterday and they have pulled back into the corners against the walls. I guess the liner has stretched some due to water warming. Am I correct? If this is true then it is also reasonable to suspect that these holes are from install and have enlarged as the liner stretched. This would explain why water loss was not noticable during colder weather. Correct.

The wrinkles in the bottom do concern me and will be addressed with PB when he calls back.

I do have to say they were very quick to respond with leak search. Hopefully they will be as responsive to my requests for a new liner.

Thanks again for a great site and your quick responses.

they were quick to reply because they would much rather slap a quick patch or two down, over having to rip out and put in another new liner. Let's see how fast they respond IF you make them reinstall a new liner. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.