Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning yellowed parts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning yellowed parts?

Hi All,

Thanks to the sage advice on this forum, I'm well on my way to turning my green swamp into an oasis. I pulled the cover off of my above ground pool last Thursday and it was an awful green mess. I can now see the bottom and I think with a few more days of proper chemistry and filtering it should be 100% clear! I do have a question regarding a fix for some "yellowed" parts, particularly the bezel and inside of the skimmer, along with the inlet. I'd really like to get these back to white if possible - I've scrubbed them with a nylon brush but they aren't cleaning up. The water-line was below these components during the winter so I'm thinking that they are yellowed because of sunlight and not due to algae. Any tips out there for sprucing these up? I've seen some products out there designed to clean yellowed plastic but I imagine that none of them would work well underwater, nor be good for the pool chemistry. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning yellowed parts?

At the risk of being labeled Mr Clean! I suggest you try Magic Erasers. It seems I'm always suggesting those things. I love them!

On the RV I've used straight bleach to de-yellow the window trim that had yellowed from the sun. I'm sure it takes life off them but it's a price I'm willing to pay.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it "yellow" or "rust-yellow"?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Just yellow... Well, not like a school bus, but definitely off-white. Like a butter cream color. Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

Bama Rambler, I have always worried about Magic Erasers messing up my chemistry. Is there any concern there?
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Some of my pool parts (multi-port valve, return nozzles, etc) have yellowed permanantly (I think). It's the butter cream color as described.

I think it's because they are made of ABS plastic and there's little that you can do. I hope I am wrong, I would love to fix them.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Try holding a vitamin C tablet against a yellowed area and see if that makes any difference. Often it is just the plastic yellowing naturally, but sometimes it is iron staining (which Vitamin C will remove).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone! Will try vitamin c first and take some before and after pics, then give the magic eraser a try on something that's out of the water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Magic Erasers are made of Melamine foam and there's no chemicals in them to dissolve in the pool. Whatever small particles get torn off wil be large enough to get filtered out and leave nothing in the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

About five minutes of scrubbing with the Magic Eraser did not produce a result. Also several minutes of scrubbing with a vitamin C pill did nothing. It appears that this is just the standard issue ABC plastic yellowing problem. I found another website not related to pools that suggested wet sanding with a fine grit sandpaper, basically taking off a fine layer of the surface. I tried this method on my skimmer to vacuum hose coupler (or whatever that thing is called) and it whitened it up considerably. I'm going to try this method on the skimmer bezel and see if it produces a similar result - Definitely something you don't want to do a ton of times, but taking a very fine layer off the parts should be okay once or twice.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just a quick update - I tried the Magic Eraser on the skimmer housing and it made a dramatic improvement! Looks like the vacuum hose coupler test was not a good one - that part admittedly is often sitting out in direct sun, and the plastic has permanently yellowed. I'm fine with that - but the parts in the pool itself were bothersome. A few minutes with the magic eraser and the yellow funk that had settled on them vanished. Be advised, the eraser breaks apart quickly, especially when cleaning some of the sharper corners of the skimmer housing - so make sure your basket is in place and pump is off as to not accidentally suck some of it down into your equipment. Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the follow up. Yeah I forgot to mention that they don't last very long, sorry about that, :/
    Dave J. TFP Moderator