Rules With Fences

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I plan on putting in a deck (wooden), whose floor is about 4 feet high and will have steps which go right down into the pool area. If I did this, can I remove that side of the pool fence where the deck is, and just attach the fence to the sides of the deck (rather than having it in front of the deck)?

In other words, where there's a deck, is there a need for a fence in front of the deck, or does the deck itself act as a fence? I would have a gate at the bottom of the deck stairs.

Thanks!

Before you make an assumption about it be sure to check with your local code enforcement folks. They're the ones that are going to have to tell you it's ok. Rules differ so much around the country that what may be fine for me might not be for you.

If you do that, then the deck fence has to meet pool fence code, including locking gates. That's how mine is done, and I have a locking pool gate on one side of my deck.

The most common place to see code problems with this is at the stairs. You can walk up the outside of the stairs or walk the edge of the deck outside the fence and step over the stair railing.

Well, do you have an open permit that has to be closed out? If you dont, there's no reason to get it inspected. The building inspector just doesnt drop by. :wink:
Just make sure the fence is 4 feet high, any latch on a gate is 54 inches from the ground, and there is nothing within 2 feet of the fence someone could use as a ladder.
IMO, these fence regs are kinda silly. They are basically designed to keep a kid say under the age of 10 or so out of your pool area. Other thna that... It's basicaly covering your tail end. Even then, you need liability. just m

Yes the fences and gates are meant to keep kids out. In my area code says as long as you have a fence around the yard you are ok. I am not required to have a pool fence for an above ground pool, I am doing this on my own for peace of mind. My fence is 1/3rd the price of the pool But worth every penny if it does it's job.
Bama is correct and I should have stated that as well to check with local code on that to make sure. Naturally you want to match the pool fence height for a uniform transition. I was not aware of the pool fence on the deck. I may look into that myself as I am getting one with the fence kit.
Might as well use it since wooden fences are prone to breaking and or being just a pita.

Good luck and congrats on the new pool!

bk406 said:
The building inspector just doesnt drop by. :wink:

Wanna Bet? :p
I live in a Village that is interesting when it comes to its ordinances to say the least. The house across the street went into foreclosure, right around the time the neighbor to its left decided to build a shed in the yard (without a permit). The lawn began to grow out of control, and someone called the Village to complain. The "code enforcement officer" stopped by to inspect the grass length, and noticed the neighbor's shed under construction, which apparently violated a few ordinances with regard to setbacks and building code -not to mention the lack of permit.

They forced him to remove the shed and seek a permit and build it according to code. A few weeks pass, and the day the code enforcement officer just happened to stop by with the building inspector, the neighbor 2 doors down, to the right of the foreclosed house, had a crew out to install a new pool. Now, they were replacing their AG pool with an identical but new pool. The Village inspectors made them stop the work, and then wouldn't grant the homeowner a permit, because the new pool, though identical to the previous pool, now violated the Village's new "swimming pool-lot coverage" ordinance and there was NO grandfather clause because the pool was new. Had they simply replaced the liner they would have been ok. So, they would not allow the pool to be replaced. As a compromise, the Village eventually agreed to allow them to replace the pool if they took down half of the wrap around deck. :roll:

So occasional under perhaps unexplainable circumstances, they do just happen to drop by. :mrgreen:

I agree with above it's never worth the chance to get caught without a permit. I am a skilled trademan, and let me tell you an angry inspector is not the best thing to have around. ;) I deal with them regularly at work so I have seen jobs shut down because someone thought they can just push the envelope.
Plus permits/inspectors are there to protect you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The OP is in Massachusetts. I am as well. In Mass, any fence under 6 feet does not need a permit. For a pool, the fence, including all the regs that go along with it, is included in the pool permit. Before the POOL permit is closed out, the final inspection includes the fence as well. But, to put up a new fence, part of a fence, repair of an existing fence, etc, not associated with an open POOL permit, does NOT require one, at least in the state of Massachusetts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.