New Pool - does this sound right?

Apr 19, 2010
We are building a pool with the following specs. Can you please advise if this is adequate or too much (equipment)? We told the PB that we wanted a pool that is low maintenance, but do not want to spend more than we have too.
37'5"L x 13'6"W
Perimeter= 91
Pool area= 414
Whisperflow 2HP
2 Bermuda Skimmers and 8 returns Plumbed independently 2.0" scd 40 PVC
Auto Chlorinator
Auto Fill and overflow
Pentair Platinum Cleaner w 3/4 pump
500 watt Ameri Lite Pool

-----
Pentair Intelliflow Filter Pump
Pentair Easy Touch 4 Aux Pool Computer with IC 20 Salt System
Pebble Tech (aqua blue - will this be too dark for a pool this size?)

Also I need advise on decking. They recommended pavers decking because it was to be lower maintenance than pea gravel or concrete since they can crack, but I have looked at a few pictures of pools in Houston and most of the ones I have looked at have pea gravel or some sort of concrete. So do I am torn between the cost vs maintenance of pavers pea gravel.

Please help me.

Concrete always cracks, but if it is installed correctly it will only crack along the expansion joints and you will never notice. Concrete is about as low maintenance a deck as I can imagine, though pavers are a close second. The advantage with pavers is that it is much easier to make repairs, if repairs are ever needed.

Pea gravel can be rough on your feet. On the other hand, it is inexpensive.

I would expect to see a main drain. It isn't required, but is very nice to have.

I can't imagine that they are going to run all 8 returns independently. Usually they would be paired. Not a big deal though.

Is there a 2HP WhisperFlo, or an IntelliFlo, or both? As others have already said, a 2HP WhisperFlo is way too much for that pool (as listed). An IntelliFlo is a great choice if your electrical rates are higher than average. If your electrical rates are low I would suggest a two speed pump, perhaps 1 HP full rated.

Actually I think the inline chlorinator is a good idea - especially at the beginning of a pool's curing process when the chlorine/cya levels need to be raised slowly and the tablets being acidic help keep the rising PH/TA in check, as they can rise rapidly when the plaster is curing. Since you can't add salt for the first 30 days the chlorinator is good for this purpose. Plus, if something should happen to the salt cell you always have it as a back up....

PaulR said:
simicrintz said:
(and I don't like the 2" plumbing for it either!)!
Curious about this comment as my impression from cruising many other plumbing-related posts is that 2" gets you lower head and so higher pump efficiency. Especially with a larger pool like this.
--paulr

Bigger plumbing does allow pumps to work more efficiently, but 2" is too small for a 2 HP pump. I'd be okay with it up to a 1 HP pump, but I would personally start increasing diameter after that. I would like to see a minimum of 2 1/2" pipe coming and going for a 2 HP pump, depending on length of run. 3" might be better.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I didn't see a filter specified in your original post. You want to make sure that is big enough!

Also, with all your returns plumbed individually, I don't think you would need a booster pump to run a cleaner. Couldn't you just close some of the returns so the cleaner gets enough pressure?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.