Using BBB and an inline chlorinator

plucky71

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
I am trying to get my pool up and running and plan on using the BBB system. Thank you for all of the great information on this site. Thank you for pool school.

So here is my question. With my work schedule I will regularly be away from home for 24 hours at a time. How do I handle not being able to test and add bleach. I do have a New Water Cycler automatic chlorinator on my pool system. Should I use it in conjunction with the standard BBB system? Thank you in advance for your help.

You can - BBB is more than just BBB. A key point to the BBB method is we advocate accurate testing and knowing what to do with those test results. How the chlorine gets in the pool is secondary. :)

Tablets are acidic, and they can lower PH/TA If you maintain a TA of 120-140, and monitor the PH, keeping it at 7.6 and using Soda Ash or a combination of Borax for PH and Baking Soda for TA, to keep those levels in range, you'll be fine.

Tablets (trichlor) contain CYA. Do you know your CYA level (is this a new pool?) If you start the season with CYA around 20-30, you should be able to use the tablets without too much trouble for most of the season. You'll still need to test the chlorine every other day or so and make sure your FC is staying above your "min" levels (see the CYA/Chlorine chart). Towards the end of the season, as your CYA climbs from the tablets, the "min" FC level gets higher too. As your CYA gets higher, it may become difficult for the tablets to provide the "min" levels - and then you'll need to supplement with bleach.

Do not use any "Dichlor" granular shock - this contains CYA and will make your levels climb rapidly.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks. That does help. The pool is currently a swamp with some very large frogs in it. It has been uncovered and not used for at least three years. I see that you are a former and dissatisfied pool frog owner. The New Water System chlorinator that I have is made by the same company. It has the same body and uses similar cartridges. It does not use the mineral pack, although you can use it if you want.
I'm planning on using bleach for the initial start up and shock. I have read the swamp thread. I guess I will start using the chlorinator after that.
Is there a way to just use just the liquid bleach even though I know I will be away from the pool for 24 hrs on a regular basis?

While you are clearing up the swamp, being away 24 hours at a stretch mostly means the process will take longer, because it works best if you can really keep on top of things. But, that's not to say it can't be done, just that it will take longer.

After you get that cleaned up and you are in a regular maintenance mode, being away 24 hours is no problem at all. It's not like you have to be fussing with the pool all day; lots of people skip days, especially after they get used to how the pool behaves.
--paulr

I agree with Paul - at first when I switched, I tested and added bleach every day, now I can go longer, and I tend to test/add bleach every other day (more often if the pool is being used more.) But for my pool that schedule works for me. :)
King Tech :grrrr: :hammer: :rant:

:mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.