Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My testing number with my TF kit

1. Back To Top    #1

My testing number with my TF kit

let me start out with so fat my water has been doing great with the basic kit I got form the PB.

My chlorine was around 2.8 when the pool store guy told me to super chlorinate with my SWG and raise the output from 10% to at least 45% as we are getting hotter here.

Well, my TC test went to dark orange to brown after and I knew the water was messed up.

So I ordered a TF-100 kit and here are my numbers today:

FC 23.5
    CC O
    pH 7.4
    TA 110
    CH 325
    CYA 60

Turned the SWG to 0% to get the TC down and will test every other day.

any suggestions?

Thanks
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My testing number with my TF kit

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Gio
    let me start out with so fat my water has been doing great with the basic kit I got form the PB.

My chlorine was around 2.8 when the pool store guy told me to super chlorinate with my SWG and raise the output from 10% to at least 45% as we are getting hotter here.

Well, my TC test went to dark orange to brown after and I knew the water was messed up.

FC 23.5
    CC O
    pH 7.4
    TA 110
    CH 325
    CYA 60

any suggestions?

Thanks
    Wait.

Knowing that you killed anything in the water ought to bring some peace of mind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Gio

FC 23.5
    CC O
    pH 7.4
    TA 110
    CH 325
    CYA 60

any suggestions?

Thanks
    Knowing that you killed anything in the water ought to bring some peace of mind.
    LMAO! I know that! Well, I gotta drain the pool a bit today from all the rain. But I will keep the SWG off until its normal again.

BTW, the water is CRYSTAL clear!
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, just leave it off till it drops.
    In the future "superchlorinate" with bleach, you're swg cell will last longer.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    In the future "superchlorinate" with bleach, you're swg cell will last longer.
    Even with a SWG? 2 different styles of chlorine wont matter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Mixing chlorine from bleach with chlorine from the SWG is just fine.

The issue with shocking is that shocking is faster and uses less chlorine if the FC level comes up quickly. A SWG can't bring the FC level up quickly, it is designed to add chlorine slowly and steadily. If you have algae, the SWG and the algae go back and forth for some time before the FC level gets high enough, if it ever gets high enough. Using bleach you can raise the FC level very quickly, which kills the algae off sooner and with less total chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Mixing chlorine from bleach with chlorine from the SWG is just fine.

The issue with shocking is that shocking is faster and uses less chlorine if the FC level comes up quickly. A SWG can't bring the FC level up quickly, it is designed to add chlorine slowly and steadily. If you have algae, the SWG and the algae go back and forth for some time before the FC level gets high enough, if it ever gets high enough. Using bleach you can raise the FC level very quickly, which kills the algae off sooner and with less total chlorine.
    Thank you from a Newbie! And people wonder why I became a Lifetime Supporter!