Please review this quote and give me advice

Aug 22, 2009
Spivey's Corner, NC
I think this is the one we will go with. We are about 20 minutes north of Fayetteville, NC. We'd love Shotcrete/gunite but there is only one builder in this area and his quote was almost 20k more for what we wanted.
So we had to go with vinyl:

True L 16x24x41 3 to 8' depth
hayward sand filter + pump
maintenance kit
2 led lights
electric work to pump, light . grounding
concrete apron, 8 ft on all sides
goldline salt system
2 skimmers, 2 inlets, main drain,
permits

polaris 380 option add $1200

we are planning on adding molded sunledge and maybe a buddy seat.

Sound reasonable? What else do I need and an suggestions on fencing. We live on a 13 acre parcel that used to be a field, so it is pretty open. We haven't got a yard plan other than where the pool is going slighty angled to the back and right of the house.

Thanks
Wanda

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, what pump model/size and plumbing size/design?

If you haven't already thought about it, now is the time to consider energy efficiency. Too often people build pools and then find out how much it costs to run them.

mas985 said:
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, what pump model/size and plumbing size/design?

If you haven't already thought about it, now is the time to consider energy efficiency. Too often people build pools and then find out how much it costs to run them.

He didn't write the pump info on the sheet but in my notes I have 1 hp/ 250lb sand filter.. Is that sufficient?

I have thought about the energy cost and tried to research a little about how much it would increase the bill. I'm open to suggestions on that though.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in, but my pool is smaller and not as deep as yours, and I am using a 1.5 hp pump. I'm thinking a 1 hp may be a little small, but I'm not totally sure.

I only have a couple of suggestions that you may or may not have addressed already but just weren't posted:

- try to get the PB to give you a deadline. 2 or 3 weeks from beginning date. They are infamous for digging a hole (locking you in) and then disappearing for days or weeks at a time to work on other projects.
- for the price of the Polaris, I would suggest you get a Dolphin robot or Water Tech Blue Pearl robot. They plug into a regular GFI outlet and only use 12 or 24 volts. More efficient than trying to get your plumbing and pressure right for the Polaris which may require a separate booster pump (more $$$ & electricity). I know I wish I went this way. I may get a robot next year. It also saves on your chemicals and backwashing since all of the filtering is not sent through your sand filter.
- you need specify the amount of returns you will have. Also keep in mind that the more returns you have the lower the return pressure will be at each one. In my 15'x30' kidney pool, I have 7 returns (2 on my steps) but only 1 skimmer. You did good in getting 2 skimmers. I wish I had done that.
- try to lock your PB in on the plumbing. Most people on TFP suggest 2" or 2.5" plumbing throughout.

I'm sure prices vary from location to location, but that seems to be a very fair price for what you have. Best of luck on your build!

-Dennis

A 1 HP pump is just fine. I would recommend trying to get a two speed pump to save on electric costs. Running on low speed for twice a long will cost significantly less in electricity while moving the same amount of water and you still have high speed available when you need it.

A 250 lb sand filter is sufficient, but I always recommend getting a filter larger than you really need. A larger filter doesn't need to be cleaned as often and makes the entire system a little more efficient.

The only thing I can think of that is missing is a timer. You need to have a timer. It shouldn't add much to the cost. Of course there are lots of optional extras, but that is the only thing I can think of that is essential.

Tell the PB you want 2inch plumbing. Our plumbing is 2 inch with the exception of all the water features and ,for future upgrades like solar, you will have less psi and your pump will have to work less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.