Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CL is flat lining

1. Back To Top    #1

CL is flat lining

For a variety of reasons outside my control, I am still stuck with very high CYA. 140 consistently. So I keep CL high - 12 to 16. In anticipation of leaving on vacation, I let CL drop so I can get an accurate pH. Then I'm gonna shock it before I go.

4/9 CL 16
    4/11 CL 13
    4/12 added 1/2 gallon 10%
    4/15 CL 12.5
    4/17 CL 11
    4/19 CL 11

I have added quite a bit of acid to keep pH down and reduce TA, but no Chlorine for a week. Typically it works out to using about a quart a day, in full sun. All the sudden, it just stopped dropping. Does Chlorine flat line because of the CYA? Is this as low as it's gonna get? The water is crystal clear.

On a side note - would this be a way to tell what the CYA level is?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CL is flat lining

No, the FC level should continue coming down. I noticed that you wrote it as CL, as you testing FC, CC, or TC? If your test measures TC, you might have a very high CC level, which won't go down on it's own (though that seems unlikely).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    No, the FC level should continue coming down. I noticed that you wrote it as CL, as you testing FC, CC, or TC? If your test measures TC, you might have a very high CC level, which won't go down on it's own (though that seems unlikely).
    It's stalled on 11 FC. CC = 0. TC = 11

Plane leaves later tonight, so I dumped a gallon in, which should push it up to 17.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I was under the impression that high pH readings were caused by chlorine levels that are high relative to your CYA, not just high numbers. ie. 16 ppm FC is shock level at CYA=40 (giving erroneous high pH #s), but is in the recommended range for CYA=140 (thus would give an accurate number).

Jason, is this correct?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

High FC levels cause problems for the PH test regardless of the CYA level. With FC up to almost 20 the PH results are only off a bit (more the higher FC goes, but not way off), somewhere a bit above 20 they switch to way wildly wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School