Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why can't you get 1" Chlorine Pucks Without "CYA"

1. Back To Top    #1

Why can't you get 1" Chlorine Pucks Without "CYA"

Monday morning rant...It just seem like it would be easy to add CYA when needed...Why don't they make a "just chlorine" puck. I spent the money for the Rainbow 320 Chlorinator and by using it, the CYA levels end up well over 100-150 in no time at all. (rant....It seems a little like a scam to keep us using more and more chlorine)! So, why not make it without CYA? When I went over 200 cya, I asked the pool store owner about it and he said, "don't worry till it's around 3-400!!! No joke!.
    Thanks,
    harry
    Trilogy "Fiberglass" Pool,
    15x34 8900 gal.
    Pentair 1hp Super-Flo Pump
    Pentair CC100 Cartridge Filter, Pentair "Legend" Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why can't you get 1" Chlorine Pucks Without "CYA"

Chlorine is a very reactive element, and fairly dangerous in pure form. In order to maintain strength it needs to be delivered to the user in a compound with other elements. Whatever chlorine is bound with is added to the water along with the chlorine. Sodium with bleach, calcium with cal-hypo and CYA with trichlor and dichlor.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I was wondering the same thing myself.
    I can't believe some of the stories I hear about the advice given by pool store people. I am SO glad I found this site before even stepping foot in a pool store!
    12,000 gallon IG (newly re-plastered) pool, Pentair 3/4hp pump, DE filter, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
    I was wondering the same thing myself.
    I can't believe some of the stories I hear about the advice given by pool store people. I am SO glad I found this site before even stepping foot in a pool store!
    Just remember that you are often dealing with a seasonal employee who has no real pool experience at the store. There will usually be someone knowledgable around who can give good advice, but they will probably be the owner and often will be busy with pool work.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the techniques and chemicals that are needed to keep a pool clear with a once a week visit differ greatly from those used when you have daily access to the pool. Algaecide, higher CYA levels, clarifiers and pucks are almost the only option when you can't check and adjust the chemistry daily.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Sodium hypochlorite in its pure form is a solid, but is too unstable to be safely used. It has a very low melting point and readily absorbs water from the air around it, disintegrating. It dissolves vigorously in water, so wouldn't be practical as a tablet.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Sodium hypochlorite in its pure form is a solid, but is too unstable to be safely used. It has a very low melting point and readily absorbs water from the air around it, disintegrating. It dissolves vigorously in water, so wouldn't be practical as a tablet.
    Thanks...That's what I wanted to know
    Harry
    Trilogy "Fiberglass" Pool,
    15x34 8900 gal.
    Pentair 1hp Super-Flo Pump
    Pentair CC100 Cartridge Filter, Pentair "Legend" Cleaner