Big water flow issue. Cartridge Filter.

Apr 19, 2010
Hello everyone, Im a First time user and just subscribed, so that would make this my first post. Im having some trouble with my hayward cartridge filter, my pool got "swampy" for awhle and the filter just kinda sat un-used. after this i cleaned my filter and added a good amount of chlorine among other things to try and clear up the pool, i noticed that my pool filters jets were not pumping out nearly as much water as usual and with such little pressure i doubt it was really doing anything for my pool seeing as it just wouldnt get clear and still isnt.

lso what im thinking is there is some sort of maybe calcium or another type of build up that hose pressure cannot remove (yes i am using a hose head and yes i tried covering the end with my thumb) the filter appears clean but there is an almost slimy coating on the inside of the filter, is there anything i can soak it in or something else i could do that anyone else knows of as a means of cleaning my filter completely?

id greatly appreciate any advice and will be checking my post periodically

THANK YOU! :mrgreen:

Welcome to TFP!

What you describe could well mean that the filter needs extra cleaning, but first you should check the filter pressure right after cleaning, and compare that to what the filter pressure used to be right after cleaning when everything was working correctly. If the cartridge is especially dirty the pressure will be higher now than it was before. There are other things, not a dirty cartridge, that could cause the same symptoms, except they would tend to cause the filter pressure to be lower now instead of higher.

If the filter pressure is higher now, take a look at this post which explains the complete procedure for cleaning a cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.