Need help opening

Aug 16, 2009
I still feel like a newbie. I seem to have forgotten everything....I just need a recapp please. I've got everything ready to go.Pump is running, vacuumed, tested.

FC..0

CC..0

TA..30

PH..7.3-7.4

CYA..0

My question is ..do I take my chlorine up to "shock" level" (little algae not much), when do I add CYA? and why is it at zero? and when do I adjust TA?
Thanks, Deb

Welcome back. Remind us of your location first. I'd retest the CYA to be sure it's really zero. Let the sample warm up to room temp if you're in a cold location.

Since you say you have a "little" algae you should go ahead and bring the FC up to shock level but remember that without any CYA you're gonna lose FC fast during the day so keep adding it as often as you can. While you're doing that, go ahead and start adding CYA via sock method. After a couple of days assume (no use testing it for a week) it's there and up your shock level to match the amount added.

After you're done shocking you can adjust your other levels.

Thanks..I live in Alabama...should I test again with room temp. water? So I go ahead and add bleach up to shock level and add CYA at the same time? What about the TA? If I do test CYA again...can I go ahead and add bleach now?

Thanks, Deb

As long as CYA is around 0, and for the first 24 hours after adding CYA, you should add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening after sunset. Once you have had CYA in the pool for 24 hours, start maintaining an appropriate FC level based on your CYA level.

Yes, go ahead and raise the TA level to around 60 for now and start adding CYA. Give things a day or two to settle, the retest the PH and TA and continue adjusting PH and TA from there.

CYA test: Is the solution a little cloudy in the view tube - just not enough to obscure the dot completely? You may have a little (less than 20) and it just isn't enough to register. So calculate enough to go from 0 to 20 ppm, that way if you do have some you won't overshoot your target. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.