Polaris Halcyon seal

djw

Gold Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
Colleyville, TX
I am going to replace the spring and ceramic seal while I am in replacing the gasket. It is supposed to be an easy process with the Polaris Halcyon.

Can anyone walk me through the process - there is nothing in the manual and while I am reasonably handy, I have not done this before.

Thanks for any walkthrough or tips!

There is a cap covering the shaft end on the back of the motor. Remove the cap with a small flat head screw driver by prying/walking it off. Split the wet end and pull it back. You now have access to the o-ring and impeller. Put a large flat head screw driver in the slot of the motor shaft end and spin the impeller off. Carefully pry the seals out/off. Lube the seal for the impeller and back plate with Magic Lube. A little goes a long way. Evenly press it into position. Use a little lube to hold the o-ring in place too. Spin the impeller back on the shaft and put the cap back on the motor end. Re-assemble the back to the front, threading the bolts in a star pattern and then snugging them enough to hold without torquing too much.

Scott

Thanks - wondering what difference the Halcyon pump has on doing this since there are no bolts and something about "Easy 90-degree twist and pull shaft end cap releases with the simple turn of a wrench"? Presume that means the back end cap doesn't need to be prised?

Here's the cap you remove to grab the shaft...

Replace the "Remove the six bolts" with "Remove the steel band clamp".
You may have to take these mounting bolts out, depending on your plumbing.

Impeller exposed

Remove the impeller to expose the seal, and pry seal out.

then pry out the ceramic.

Then slap it back together, NJ guy's instructions should work pretty much the same. I just happen to have a "pump in a basket", in the shop, so i took all the picks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.