pump flow rate

Oct 31, 2008
hey guys my pool has 2hp haywood pump it has a chart in the manual regarding flow rates according to pipe size, now i hav 2 inch pipe to the pump, out the pump converts down to 1 1//2 pipe entering the filter and back out and thru my swg converting back to 2 inch pipe for return to pool. my question is what pipe size on the flow chart should i go by 2in or 1 1/2 inch.

There is much more to determining the flow rate than just knowing the pipe diameter. A calculator that uses only the pipe diameter and pump size won't be especially accurate. If it also uses the pipe length then it could be in the ball park, but there are still many many other factors that affect the flow rate.

What matters for flow rate is the average pipe diameter, not the smallest pipe diameter. If the great majority of the piping run is 2" then you effectively have 2" plumbing everywhere.

Normally, the flow rates listed in a pump manual are just pipe velocity recommendations and nothing more. What are you trying to do?

got my salt level too high trying to determine how long i need to run them pump to remove the needed amount of water. followed what i thought was the right amt of salt to put in at fresh start up but i am up to 3900-4000 ppm. any dangers of leaving it thaT HIGH

Usually a SWG will shut off on it's own if the salt is too high. If it doesn't complain, then it should be ok. What model SWG do you have?

That unit should shut off if the salt level is too high. So as long as you don't get an error, the level is fine.

Note too that salt level strips tend to read high so if you are going by that, I would see if the unit says the salt level is too high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.