tile trouble

Apr 18, 2010
I have a gunite in ground pool built in the 70's. The tile on the tile strip of the coping keep falling off year after year after year. Is there some kind of clip on strip that is prepainted or something that I can slip over the tile strip. It would need to be clipped on from the bottom I guess...I don't want to mess with the tiles anymore-I've had it! :twisted: thanks for any help

Yes, here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Gosh, I hope you can enlarge it if you need to? I think you can by clicking on the photo. I want to be able to cover the tile strip with something, like another strip, maybe painted or that has some sort of lights on it because I'm sick of replacing tiles every year. It would work basically like the clip on coping that holds pool liners in place on an above ground pool , only in reverse, as it would have to clip on from the bottom of this strip. Am I making ANY sense at all here??? Thanks for being patient...

Im no concrete pool professional, but im sure you can rip off all the tiles, grind off all the thinset and just paint? I dont see why you couldnt do that at least.

If the tiles are installed correctly, they shouldnt be falling off every year... i only know viynl pools,but im sure someone here has more info for ya.

welcome to the forum. Tons of good info here

yeah, We tried painting a section and it didn't do well. The paint wore off after a short time after being hit with the water. I'm hoping to find something that would clip on from underneath and cover the whole tile strip...

Not a good idea to paint. Obviously
They make a grout designed for pools.
Once grouted you need to seal the area as well.
I hear you should use a silicone based product for that.
As long as you have the tiles to replace it, do one at a time. If you do a large area it will not set correctly.
You will be amazed how easy it is once you start.

we've done the mortar and grout countless times. The problem is that the hard plastic that the tile is mortared to as well as the tile itself do not expand and contract at the same rate during winter when any water behind them freezes. I might try an epoxy paint, that may adhere, an enamel sure didn't once the water got splashed on it. Somebody would probably make a fortune with some type of clip on replacement that would cover over the tile strip. Lots of pool owners with older pools with tile strips like mine would take advantage of it rather than keep messing with replacing the tile all the time. I'm hoping I'll find something soon or somebody on here will!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.