Tons of automatic cleaner questions

I have a Great White pool cleaner that came with the pool and the house when we bought it. The cleaning (and manual pole vacuum, of course) has been done with two sections of hose. After plugging a few leaks (there were three), I was happy to find that one skimmer produced very little air, yet dismayed to find that I suddenly had spa-worthy aeration when plugging in the hoses.

I figured out which hose was causing the issue and I'll be throwing that hose out and buying some that is more conducive to air-free cleaning.

Which leads me to one of my many questions about this:

1. Any particular type of hose that I should look for? I bought the last set at Wal-Mart and we see how that worked out. In the hose's defense, I have stepped on it a time or two and I have no doubt that my 7 year old has done the same from time to time, no doubt contributing to its lack of performance on the job.

2. Would it be better to use multiple segments of hose or just go for one or two long ones? I ask because the Great White has had issues with staying attached to the pool surface as it cleans, particularly when transitioning up to the shallow end. Actually, the Great White rarely made it to the shallow end at all, mainly because it would detach, lift up and then slide back down into the deep end where it would *eventually* re-engage and resume cleaning.

3. What cleaner would be best for a vinyl liner pool like mine? Here's a pic or two for reference:

P1050993.jpg

P1050991.jpg

P1050995.jpg

The Great White is a decent cleaner, but I don't think it was ever designed for a vinyl liner. I say this because the bar that runs along the front of the cleaner has actually created a ledge of sorts along the bottom of the deep end, causing it to get stuck. The cleaner stops at the start of the wall and then sits there, vibrating and beating the bar against the liner as it waits to turn around or just continues to sit there.

A pic of the Great White, for those that are unfamiliar:

726504-1_10.jpg

So, I've been looking at The Pool Cleaner. It doesn't have a bunch of moving parts and gets decent reviews here and abroad. That being said......

4. Is The Pool Cleaner compatible with vinyl liners? The tires look somewhat sharp, but I can't tell what they're made of. Rubber? Plastic? Magic?

5. Would the 2x suction be sufficient for my size pool, or should I go with the 4x? I've read that the 2x doesn't do well with the amount of hose required for pools over 20k or more than 6ft deep.

Thanks in advance for being a part of this epic adventure.

Re: My pool is allergic to automatic cleaning

I can't answer about the cleaner, but the vacuum head shown in the picture looks like a head for a concrete pool, and may not be liner safe.

It is designed for a concrete pool, but works much better for me since it has wheels and I don't have to fight the friction of brushes when I'm cleaning. I can vacuum the whole pool 10x faster and as long as I'm not a total idiot, its not hard to keep from tearing the liner.

That vac head will cut your liner. It can also pull the vinyl up when you hit an imperfection in the floor.

Pick up a brushed vac head please. Also pick of a vacuum plate so the skimmer basket catches debris vs. the potential of clogging the skimmer line with debris or a rock hitting the pump basket and breaking that. Broken pump baskets will cause clogged impellers.

Most vacuum hoses have swivel cuffs. That is usually the air source when two are connected. Heavy duty commercial grade hoses typically don't have a swivel cuff. They aren't cheap though either.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.