TFTestkits.net has a magnetic stirrer

Re: Portable Magnetic Stirrer from Apollo Pools

Yes, I ordered one of the stirrers thru TFtestkits.net (a new addition to their lineup). I expect in the mail any day, and can't wait to try it out. I'll report back....(LOVE gadgets...especially ones that don't cost alot!)

PaulR said:
I ordered one from Taylor, a week ago, before TFTestkits had it available. Still hasn't arrived. :-(
--paulr
Me too, and it showed up yesterday with a cracked sample tube :( I never even opened the packaging.

Hopefully they will send a replacement.

ETA The rep at Taylor was very apologetic and sent two replacement sample tubes.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yes, I ordered one of the stirrers thru TFtestkits.net (a new addition to their lineup). I expect in the mail any day, and can't wait to try it out. I'll report back....(LOVE gadgets...especially ones that don't cost alot!)
FPM I am getting ready to place my refill order and was thinking of getting one of these from Dave. Did you get yours yet? Report? Thanks in advance.

AV8TOR , do yourself a favor and order one!

I got mine last week from Dave (TFTestKits.Net) and I love, love, love it!

The CH test was a breeze :bowdown:

I have been reading about the magnetic stirrers for a long time and had one on my wish list!

Thanks, Dave :goodjob:

Here is the link to the product.

http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magneti ... r-p56.html

I guess from looking at it, you put your sample in your tube and place the tube on the circle part. You use the buttoms to stir it. Is there any chance of the container falling over while testing and are you able to use the test cylinders from the tf kit on this stirrer? I am talking about the two round ones that are in the kit. Not the one for CYA.

Thanks.

mynewpool said:

I guess from looking at it, you put your sample in your tube and place the tube on the circle part. You use the buttoms to stir it. Is there any chance of the container falling over while testing and are you able to use the test cylinders from the tf kit on this stirrer? I am talking about the two round ones that are in the kit. Not the one for CYA.

Thanks.

It COULD get knocked over, but it's not going to fall. The cylinder sits in a recess in the stirrer. One of the buttons turns the stirrer on and off, and the other turns the stirrer and the lights on and off. I believe the cylinders from the kit will work, but the cylinder that comes with the stirrer is marked so you can use it for all the tests that use the larger vial.

I like mine very well. It's not a necessity item, but the TA, FAS_DPD Chlorine and CH tests are pretty amazing when the color change happens almost as soon as the drop hits the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JohnT said:
mynewpool said:

Thanks.

It COULD get knocked over, but it's not going to fall. The cylinder sits in a recess in the stirrer. One of the buttons turns the stirrer on and off, and the other turns the stirrer and the lights on and off. I believe the cylinders from the kit will work, but the cylinder that comes with the stirrer is marked so you can use it for all the tests that use the larger vial.

I like mine very well. It's not a necessity item, but the TA, FAS_DPD Chlorine and CH tests are pretty amazing when the color change happens almost as soon as the drop hits the water.

The only reason I ask, is because in the TF100 kit there are the two cylinders, and one says for chlorine only and then the other one. I was not sure if you could do all the test in the same one, after rinsing it out with your test sample water. I have two test bottles from leslies and I fill those up and use those as my test sample. I have one I use to rinse out my test cylinders and one I use to run my test. So the button that turns on the stirrer to spin, it stays on until you hit it again? Also when you are doing your test, I assume you just leave it on until you get the color change?

I tried using the tubes that came with my TF100 in the stirrer, and determined that they don't work nearly as well as the tube that comes with the stirrer. The tube that comes with the stirrer has a convex bottom, so that the stir stick doesn't sit flat on the bottom, and thus spins more easily. The other tubes have flat bottoms creating greater drag between the stir stick and the tube. The result (for my testing) was that the tubes that didn't come with the stirrer would spin on the stirrer. It would still work, because the friction between the stirrer base and the tube was greater than the friction between the stir stick and the tube. It was amusing to watch the entire tube spinning on the base, but I wouldn't do it that way routinely.

As far as using the same tube for everything, yes, that's fine. Just rinse the tube after each test.

Edit to add:
The stirrer has a timer timer built into it. 30 seconds, if memory serves. There have been a couple of occasions where I took long enough to perform a test that I had to turn in on again. It doesn't hurt anything to have it stop halfway through testing.

The FAS-DPD test will cause the tube to become cloudy eventually. The TF-100 comes with two tubes so any clouding of the chlorine test tube does not affect your ability to do the TA and CH tests. You can do all of the tests with one tube, you will just need to replace it a little sooner than you otherwise would. The tube will still last probably two years doing all the tests in one tube with typical residential use.

JasonLion said:
The FAS-DPD test will cause the tube to become cloudy eventually. The TF-100 comes with two tubes so any clouding of the chlorine test tube does not affect your ability to do the TA and CH tests. You can do all of the tests with one tube, you will just need to replace it a little sooner than you otherwise would. The tube will still last probably two years doing all the tests in one tube with typical residential use.

I was looking around on the site and did not notice a place to buy an additional tube designed for this. Do you know if there is a tube on the site that you could buy so I could have two of them?

Thanks.

The result (for my testing) was that the tubes that didn't come with the stirrer would spin on the stirrer. It would still work, because the friction between the stirrer base and the tube was greater than the friction between the stir stick and the tube. It was amusing to watch the entire tube spinning on the base, but I wouldn't do it that way routinely.
Interesting. My experience was that I tried both types of tubes and they worked equally well. In both cases, if I remember, the bottome of the tube was a little wet.....perhaps causing them to stick better (or maybe worse?, I dunno)

If anyone else has the TF-100 tube spinning, please let me know. I would like to test it some more to see what causes that.

This evening, I think I'll get an adult beverage or two and see if I can make the tube spin. I am easily entertained and might like it better!! (I'm kidding! I really would like to hear from others if the TF-100 tube spins)

The tube that comes with the SpeedStir is a Taylor #9198 sample tube. Taylor sells them, and you should be able to find them several other places. If there is enough demand, TF Test Kits will probably carry them.

I played with the chlorine tube from my test kit last night, just for fun. (I didn't bother to try both tubes from the kit, since they appear to be the same.) When the tube is completely dry on the outside, it would wiggle a bit. I didn't move a whole lot, but it did make one complete revolution in about 30 seconds.

I then dipped the bottom of the tube in my test water and put that on the stirrer without shaking it off or drying it. This created a vacuum under the tube and held the tube rock-steady on the stirrer. (It held it even more steadily than the stock tube normally is.)

I then broke the vacuum, shook some of the excess water off of the tube, and put it back (there were still a few drops of water standing in the indentation of the stirrer.) This time the tube spun relatively rapidly, about one revolution every 5 seconds.

So, in my first experience trying these tubes, I must have gotten the outside of the tube wet, or gotten a bit of water on the stirrer.

I also noticed that the stir bar will occasionally hang on the bottom of the tube. Just at a guess, I'd say that it hangs about once every 5-10 seconds for about 1/8-1/4 second. It still stirs well, just has a bit more drag than it does in the stock tube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.