CYA & Your "average" pool owner

Jul 15, 2008
austin, tx
Hello all,
After using BBB method for about a season of swimming, I got LAZY (i know, i know) and switched back to pucks for a few months. Now my CYA level is off the charts (along with my calcium hardness levels) so I think I'm looking at a partial drain. Yay! So my question is, how does middle America deal with this CYA issue? I'm assuming here (and I know what they say about assuming) that most pool owner's (no one on this board) use pucks and haven't even heard of the BBB method. So is the rest of America faced with a partial drain every couple of years, or are most people just ignorant of their levels? If I'm missing some way to keep my CYA levels down that any others know of, please share.

thanks in advance!

chuckill said:
If I'm missing some way to keep my CYA levels down that any others know of, please share.

You can keep your CYA levels down by using the BBB method. :goodjob:

Many people use Trichlor pucks and then wonder why they get algae during the latter part of the pool season or why they need to always be using algaecide or phosphate remover. In some areas of the country, summer and winter rains dilute the water to somewhat keep the CYA in check, but that usually just keeps it below 150 ppm unless the pool season is short or the pool is smaller and there is significant backwashing.

In our area, the local pool store that services thousands of pools keeps their pools below 100 ppm CYA via intentional dilution. They find that they have too many problems with algae if the CYA gets above 100 ppm -- not a surprise to us, of course. They tend to keep their pools at 4.5 ppm FC as well. They also usually shock the pools weekly which somewhat makes up for any low chlorine during the week.

Some homeowners get lucky by having water that is naturally low in algae nutrients (phosphates and nitrates). I know I am not so lucky because my fill water has 400 ppb phosphates added intentionally by the water district as a corrosion inhibitor for piping.

One thing that helps out the people who don't know any better is that many pools lose all their CYA over the winter. If you use trichlor and also lose all your CYA over the winter then the first half the season usually goes fairly well. Lots of backwashing because of your small filter and large pump also helps out.

chuckill said:
Hello all,
After using BBB method for about a season of swimming, I got LAZY (i know, i know) and switched back to pucks for a few months. Now my CYA level is off the charts (along with my calcium hardness levels) so I think I'm looking at a partial drain. Yay! So my question is, how does middle America deal with this CYA issue? I'm assuming here (and I know what they say about assuming) that most pool owner's (no one on this board) use pucks and haven't even heard of the BBB method. So is the rest of America faced with a partial drain every couple of years, or are most people just ignorant of their levels? If I'm missing some way to keep my CYA levels down that any others know of, please share.

thanks in advance!
They go to the pool store and bend over and leave with pool chemistry bandaids. And keep buying bigger bandaids. Until the pool store guy suggests a drain and refill. And a startup kit.

Cha-ching!

Richard320 said:
chuckill said:
Hello all,

thanks in advance!
They go to the pool store and bend over and leave with pool chemistry bandaids. And keep buying bigger bandaids. Until the pool store guy suggests a drain and refill. And a startup kit.

Cha-ching!

If they even do that. Sometimes they just find something new to get you to buy.

I live in Indiana...basically middle america.
I usually have little trouble in the early part of the season, while the latter is a constant battle. Basically I always thought it was because the more heat, the more difficult the pool management. I am usually very ready to stop 'screwing around' with the pool by late august, early september.

Basically our pool stores here have a blanket FC level that never changes. In 7 seasons, never have I been told by a pool place that because you use stabilized chlorine, you'll have to use more chlorine to do the same job...never. I HAVE been sold chlorine neutralizer though when I've shocked, the FC was 'too high' and I had 15 people coming for the July 4th holiday and it isn't safe to let them swim in 5ppm water....ugh...

The only thing that we, as pool owners can do now is spread the word. I've told, as of today, 7 people about this site..and I've only been here 5 days.

poolgirl22 said:
The only thing that we, as pool owners can do now is spread the word. I've told, as of today, 7 people about this site..and I've only been here 5 days.

I've told many people too, but only one has bought into it. The rest will complain about how hard it is to take care of their pools and say they wish theirs looked like mine, but the just keep doing it the old way.

JohnT said:
poolgirl22 said:

I've told many people too, but only one has bought into it. The rest will complain about how hard it is to take care of their pools and say they wish theirs looked like mine, but the just keep doing it the old way.

Well, John, the next time you go to RKing to get your 10%, send me a PM and I'll meet ya for popcorn! lol!

poolgirl22 said:
JohnT said:
poolgirl22 said:

Well, John, the next time you go to RKing to get your 10%, send me a PM and I'll meet ya for popcorn! lol!
:goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I was severely bummed when I walked in Rking on Saturday and they had a sign on the popcorn machine that said "Out of Order." :cry: So I went to Harbor Freight and got a FREE LED flashlight, :-D and Menards for the numbers I wanted.

New2Me said:

I was severely bummed when I walked in Rking on Saturday and they had a sign on the popcorn machine that said "Out of Order." :cry: So I went to Harbor Freight and got a FREE LED flashlight, :-D and Menards for the numbers I wanted.

:mrgreen: :goodjob:

Where is Harbor Freight? I may have to check that out for Friday nite date nite..cuz that Princeton Menards is more an anniversary or birthday type outing...tres chic!

JohnT said:

Dude! That's me!

The one who bought in went all the way. Bought a TF Test kit, learned how to use it, joined up here, learned how to use the Pool Calculator, and I haven't heard her complain about her pool since.

The one who didn't buy in was on Baquacil. Used to be with chlorine but she complained about not being a chemist and the testing made her crazy. It was my refusal to allow my dogs to swim in her Baqua pool (the dogs are a VERY big part of our lives!) which prompted her to go back to chlorine but her pool company did the conversion. Her pool company maintains the pool. Her pool company is now installing a new liner because the 4 year old one has mega wrinkles on the bottom.

She's complaining about the cost of the new liner installation. I told her that improperly balanced water caused her liner wrinkles and if only she would listen to me about bleach and etc. The pool company uses trichlor and weekly shock. Her dogs are itching, her liner is a mess, her eyes are red and her hair is turning green. And by August, her water is green as well.

We are now here:

ME: If only you would let me teach you about your pool . . .
SHE: Come on down!!!

Quite the treck, she lives in Virginia. I'm going to suggest once again that she get a test kit and I will do a road trip and show her how to use it (if she gets it) but I'm not holding my breath.

Me and CYA? I got lucky. Once our pool was up and running I went to the 'Net and searched on 'pool maintenance'. Found the Pool Forum and learned about trichlor and how CYA is "like a sun screen for your chlorine". I went cold turkey with Ben's BBB method. I still use trichlor though. My CYA crashes during the winter when my pool freezes solid and I learned in the intervening years how long I can use trichlor in the feeder at the beginning of the season before I go with straight liquid chlorine once the CYA is where I want it.

Middle America? If they don't have access to the Internet, or if they do but don't use it, will continue to buy into the 'more-is-better" pool store myth. Don't get me wrong: I need my pool store. I buy liquid chlorine there, test kit refills, trichlor pucks every other year or so, spider gaskets, a hose now and then. But I no longer rely on my pool store to fix my pool because it no longer needs fixing.

I used to agonize over CYA just as I wrung my hands over TA. No more. It's not magic and it's not mythical. As long as my pH holds I'm good. I know what the chemistry of my fill water is and I do a lot of refilling because of the dogs, who are VERY splashy. I start with a CYA near zero and end the season with CYA at 60. My TA wants to ride at 70 and that's fine because my pH stays between 7.4 and 7.6. That first season, when I used pucks and test strips, who knows what I had?

The best we can do is live by example. Let people see our pools, use our pools, watch us maintain our pools. They'll either go with it, or they don't. Their loss, if they don't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.