Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing winter plugs from skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing winter plugs from skimmer

This is the first time I am opening the pool by myself. I have an inground pool.

I am having a hard time removing the winter plugs from the skimmer. The plugs have a square top about one and a quarter inch. Is there special tool that I can use to unscrew these? I'm having a **** of a time trying to get a wrench in the skimmer.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing winter plugs from skimmer

Before removing both, are you sure the one closest to the pool isn't plugged normally during use? If you have a separate drain line back to the pump, that one probably stays plugged.

Vice-Grips are about the best "make do" tool for that job.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Once you make sure which are supposed to be removed you can purchase a basin wrench to remove them. It's not a special tool just for removing plugs and it's dang handy to have around the house.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Guys!!!

A basin wrench did not work. I used my plyers to open up the skimmer plug one painful quarter turn after another. I not sure if the pool company cross-threaded the plug in the fall because man it was difficult to unscrew. The other plug for the main drain unscrewed with no problems.

Darren

5. Back To Top    #5

What do the plugs look like? I have a male plug with a square part on top and what I guess is a female plug threaded into the pipe. Which one do I remove? How would you remove the female one?