Newbie w/ swamp: I think I have MUSTARD ALG-HELP! See Update

Apr 25, 2008
Hi, love the site! Used it last year with best season ever, though still have a lot to learn... obviously :?

OK, we have a green swamp. Actually, when we uncovered yesterday, we could see the bottom of the deep end. After the water has gotten stirred we can no longer see the bottom of the deep, though we can see the bottom of the shallow end.

Yesterday we followed the Stickie to "turn our green swamp..."
When we left the pool last night the FC was holding after an hour and a half and was at 13. This morning FC was 6. The pool is not showing any color change yet.

We added chlorine again (we are using cal-hypo 65%). I just can't figure out the bleach thing. I used the pool calculator and got the amount of bleach to add to get to shock, but it didn't get us there. We have cal-hypo left from last year, so we started adding that after the initial bleach. Here are current numbers:

FC: 13
CC: 1
PH: 8 (oops, added too much borax!!, unless the chlorine is throwing off the test. I added the amt to get to 7.2, but forgot to retest before chorine added).
TA: 90
CYA: <20 (I can still see the black dot at full on the tube. I did it twice to be sure).

Anyone have suggestions on the game plan from here? I was hoping for some color change in the pool, but none yet. Also, I was concerned about a mustard algae problem as we could not get the pool clear at end of season last year; we finally gave up, added a lot of chlorine and covered it. Bad, I know, but we ran out of energy and it was past time to close so... I expected it to be worse, but we could see the bottom when we opened - for a few minutes anyway.
Thanks for any advice.

Re: Newbie w/ swamp

I would order a test kit TF100 from this site. Best thing I ever did and it will be for you as well. Then you are just not adding enough Chlorine for Mustard Algae. Seems like you probably still have that problem from last year. I would read on this website on mustard algae. Do a search and you will see many posts about it and what to do to correct it. In my mind, the test kit will be your major difference by showing that you dont have enough chlorine to kill everything. Then you need to vacuum and brush brush brush to clean up the dead algae.

I always vacuum on waste when its that green for the first 2-3 times and just add water as the water here in ND is cheap. Then just add more bleach accordingly.

Im sure more people will be along soon to give you better advice than I have.

Good luck.

Hi Lewis - have you read "How to Shock your Pool"? :)
You aren't done shocking.

A couple of things with the bleach - the FC was likely consumed as it was added, which is why you didn't hit your target with it. (the other possibility is it % strength was weaker than what was labeled-where did you buy/what brand did you use?)

When you add the calculated dose of bleach, wait 30 minutes and test - if you haven't reached shock level, you add more until you do. If you ran out of bleach then using cal-hypo is fine (assuming your CH level isn't too high). But you'll need to stock up on the bleach - jugs and jugs to clean up a swamp.

FC levels over 10 will make the PH read a false high. Wait until the FC drops below 10 and retest the PH before resuming shocking.

Ditto what FPM said, and I would add that your pump needs to be running 24/7 during this entire process. You also must brush your pool lots and lots. Backwash when indicated.

We recommend shocking a pool when you have the time to really stay on top of everything for a few days. Things also work better when you are able to bring your FC to shock level and keep it there until your FC holds to within 1 ppm overnight. As FPM said, you are no doubt losing some FC to the algae from the moment that you add chlorine. So testing after 30 minutes is a good idea.

Hi lewis,

You've gotten great advice. Just wanted to say that you may find a better deal on liquid chlorine.

With the higher 10% to 12%, you would have fewer bottles to haul to the pool.

Good luck and take some before and after pics for us! :-D

Ok guys, I did really well utilizing what I've learned here and your wonderful advice :). After just a couple of days the pool was cloudy blue and then clear blue in another day or two... less than a week we were almost perfect. Here's my problem: I think what I have left is mustard algae. This is why I gave up and covered the pool last year and just let it turn green. We have these clumps of yellow/brown stuff on the bottom and in crevices. I took a picture put haven't gotten it on here yet. I completely vacuumed yesterday to make sure it was no remaining dead algae and just like last year and as I was afraid, it came back this morning in the exact same spots. actually, it was starting to reappear last night a few hours after vacuuming. The water is clear otherwise. It puffs away easily when disturbed. When we shocked earlier to clear the other algae, I suspected mustard algae and shocked at the mustard algae rate for a day or two, but it appears it didn't work. I shocked overnight at the mustard algae rate and FC went from 15 to 13... which doesn't seem too bad to me. I put in all the brushes, nets, etc.
What else do I need to do? I lost the battle last year and want to eradicate this stuff!!! Please help!!
Thanks!!
TF-100 Test Kit
FC: 13
PH: 7.5
TA: 90
CYA: 20

That's not mustard algae. Mustard algae vanishes and stays away while the pool is at shock level, and then when the chlorine drops it returns. It grows on walls, where the walls meet the floor, especially on the shady side of the pool.

What you are describing is likely dead algae that is settling to the floor. Many, many posters commonly mistake dust/dirt/pollen/dead algae for Mustard Algae. That's is not what you are dealing with.

What you are seeing is probably a combination of pollen and dead algae. An overnight loss of 15 to 13 is a 2 ppm loss and indicates you are not done shocking.

Continue to hold shock level until you lose less than 1ppm overnight - then you are done.

Make sure it is not pollen. Does it feel slimy? If not it could be pollen accumulation. You also need to bring your CYA up to at least 30 to protect your chlorine from burning off too quickly.

lewis, pollen is much, much better than mustard algae :-D

You will be done shocking when an overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and CC is 0.5 or lower.

I sugggest you bump your CYA up to about 30 for now.

Where do you live, city and state? That is good info to have in your profile.

Can we see a pic of your pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
[attachment=1:3p79ro54]pool algae 1.jpg[/attachment:3p79ro54][attachment=0:3p79ro54]pool algae 2.jpg[/attachment:3p79ro54]
Just a few things:
I vacuumed the "stuff" to waste. Also, I was really hoping it was dirt, pollen, dead algae, etc... but, it was in the same spots when I closed last year and now it keeps coming back in the same spots since opening. Maybe its regular algae and not mustard algae, but its not green - its more brown??? But it literally comes back in the exact same spots... you'd think if it was not "growing" it would resettle in other places.
I live in Gaffney, SC. My pump runs 24/7.
I added enough stabilizer to raise the cya a couple of days ago and am waiting on it to adjust to get an accurate reading. Right now 20 is a guesstimate. I am keeping the pool at shock and will do the overnight test again tonight.
Anyone else have thoughts?
Thanks!
Amy

Attachments

• pool algae 1.jpg
    pool algae 1.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 177
  • pool algae 2.jpg
    pool algae 2.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 177
Ah, pool is clear! :whoot: You were so right... it was just dead stuff, pollen, whatever. We did some vacuuming, brushing, let the dolphin run, AND put pantyhose in the skimmer! WOW... always wondered what the big deal was with the skimmer sock, but man what a difference!
Thanks for all the help!! FC held over night and we are good to go! Now on to a diving board problem.. but that's another forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.