Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for an automatic air relief valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for an automatic air relief valve

I have a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter. It has a manual air relief valve.

The system tends to suck in air whenever the Hayward Navigator climbs the walls and reaches the water surface.

I'd like to get a valve that automatically releases the air, but not the water. It seems like Jandy filters have such a valve.

Anyone know where I can buy this valve? Will a Jandy replacement valve fit onto my Pentair (Pac-Fab) filter?

Thanks.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Pete,

I am able to reduce flow (suction) to my cleaner so it falls off the wall before it gets to the top and starts "slurping" Don't know if you can restrict your flow or if that would even work for the Navigator. It does work fairly well for me......cleaner runs a little slower, however.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Looking for an automatic air relief valve

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has this ever been solved? Or can the Pentair Filter Manual Air Relief Valve Assembly 98209800 be made to automatically release the air?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I would be very interested to know if you ever found a solution? I have the exact same issue with Pentair - I now wish I got the Jandy which has an auto release system.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's pricey, but it seems to me that anything with standard pipe threads can be made to work.

How about something like this?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

hmmm very interesting but pricey as you mentioned. Would probably have to find a way to adapt it to the 1/2" (or less) threaded female connection on top of the Pentair. Will this stay sealed when there is no air to bleed?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tommytuna
    hmmm very interesting but pricey as you mentioned. Would probably have to find a way to adapt it to the 1/2" (or less) threaded female connection on top of the Pentair. Will this stay sealed when there is no air to bleed?
    If the tank is full, yes. There's a float in it. If the filter drains down somehow when the pump is off, then it will let air in and it all will drain out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Found another company called ARI -http://www.arivalves.com/products/water-supply/item/s-050-automatic-air-release-valve-segev

They seem to make a model with a check valve which prevents air entry. Can't seem to find pricing info but will contact the company on monday

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like the radiant heating industry has a whole set of these auto release valves to automatically bleed air. Seems to be $10-20 items so i'm going to give one a try (instead of pressure gauge) to see what happens. If it works, I may rig up a tee so I can keep the pressure gauge.

WOndering if these cheaper units would work - http://www.pexsupply.com/Watts-0590719- ... nt-Feature

THink I could replace the pressure gauge with one of these?

10. Back To Top    #10

So I went to home depot and bought - http://www.homedepot.ca/product/maid-o- ... ale/969598

I took out the pressure gauge and replaced it with this $8 device (+ a 1/8 -> 1/4 brass reducer). It definitely lets air out when the pump starts up and doesn't seem to leak. A few days later and I'm not sure if the salt is corroding the brass as there is still air buildup in the tank when I release manually? Maybe not enough pressure built up for it to release? I'm trying to find one made of plastic... The $150 Hayward seems like the Cadillac but it is a 3/4" setup and super expensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Anybody know what the thread type/size is on the Pentair relief valve http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5030240894648708&pid=1.7 - It doesn't look like standard NPT threading - threads look wider apart? I was going to screw in a short plastic riser and create a "T" with one side being my auto bleed valve and the other side containing the Pentair release + pressure gauge.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tommytuna
    Anybody know what the thread type/size is on the Pentair relief valve http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5030240894648708&pid=1.7 - It doesn't look like standard NPT threading - threads look wider apart? I was going to screw in a short plastic riser and create a "T" with one side being my auto bleed valve and the other side containing the Pentair release + pressure gauge.
    I would have to double-check, but I believe that it is a standard thread. Probably 1/4 NPT. I'm pretty sure that it will accept any pressure gauges with a stand fitting.

It should be a fairly simple matter to install a tee and a couple of elbows so that you can use the auto-relief and the gauge simultaneously

That said, I've found over the years that the pressure relief wasn't necessary. If I get air trapped in the filter, it eventually gets sucked out and returned to the pool. The key thing is to make sure that you periodically run the pump at high speed to generate enough pressure (for me, it's around 20 psi) that the air gets pushed down the central PVC pipe inside the filter tank. That pipe is basically a snorkel that reaches to the top of the tank.

There was a time when I ran my pump at the lowest speeds possible. I think I had it as low as 900 rpm for slow filtering and 1900 rpm for surface skimming. Once I increased the skimming speed to around 2300 rpm, I never had any problems with air accumulation. I run the skimming speed about 40-60 minutes per day, depending on the season.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater

13. Back To Top    #13

I just checked my filter. I didn't take it all the way apart, but I'm 99% certain that the port on the top of the Pentair relief valve is a female 1/4-NPT. You've probably already figured that out, but I thought I'd post it here for the next person that comes across this thread.

14. Back To Top    #14

http://www.grainger.com/product/WATT...nt-Valve-4A821

I have problem with my "The Pool Cleaner" auto vac sucking air at top and will order this and give it a whirl.
    10,000 gall. inground kidney shaped Gunite w/ Pentair Intelliflo VS + Haryward T3 SWG, 100SF cartridge.

15. Back To Top    #15

Did it work? Most automatic bleeder valves don't seem to have integrated check valves to avoid sucking in air when the pump is off.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

V20-225 Val-Pak Products, This is the only company that I have found that can convert the threads on the Pentair filter to regular 1/4 threads