Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter backwash trouble

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter backwash trouble

When I backwash, things run normal for about 20 sec then the pressure gage goes to zero and the water leaves the glass sight. What could be the problem?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter backwash trouble

Welcome to TFP!

Either an air leak or a suction side blockage could cause that problem, but if either of those were the problem it should also fail when not backwashing. I suppose there could be something wrong with the multi-port valve.

When you are having problems, does the pump sound change? Does the pump strainer basket fill with air? Do you notice anything else unusual happening.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sand filter backwash trouble

Quote Originally Posted by stacy71
    When I backwash, things run normal for about 20 sec then the pressure gage goes to zero and the water leaves the glass sight. What could be the problem?
    IT sounds like a torn/damages spider gasket in the multi-port valve, been there...

Do you have any similar problems when vacuuming to waste or on a rinse?
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!