57 degrees today and I just took my first swim...

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
And No I don't have a heater!!!

I was stupid...I threw my temporary floater in with about 15 1 inch Trichlor tabs in it. They all fell right to the bottom. I tried to get them out with my leaf net...and no can do...So I called the Mrs. and said I need you to help me...She got a deck chair and held it for me...and in I went...Man was it cold. 62 degrees in the pool thanks to the 80 degree temps from last week. But I went down and scooped them all out. Had to make three or four trips...But Pool Mom...I swam first!!! :cheers:

:shock: 62 degrees!!

You need a teenager.

Here's how that would have played out at my house...

(me) - "Son, you see those white tablets on the pool floor?"
(son) - "Yeah, dad. Aren't those supposed to be in the floater?"
(me) - "They sure are."
(son) - "Probably ought to get them out of there and put them back in the floater."
(me) - "Right you are, son."
(son) - "How are you going to get them out of there dad?"
(me) - "You're going to go in there and get them son."
(son) - "Eh, water is still kind of cold don't you think?"
(me) - "Yep...not too cold for you though."
(son) - "I don't know."
(me) - "You still wanting to use my car this weekend?"
(son) - "Never mind...I'll get em."
(me) - "I'll get you a towel. Thanks son!"

:mrgreen:

257WbyMag said:
:shock: 62 degrees!!

You need a teenager.

Here's how that would have played out at my house...

(me) - "Son, you see those white tablets on the pool floor?"
(son) - "Yeah, dad. Aren't those supposed to be in the floater?"
(me) - "They sure are."
(son) - "Probably ought to get them out of there and put them back in the floater."
(me) - "Right you are, son."
(son) - "How are you going to get them out of there dad?"
(me) - "You're going to go in there and get them son."
(son) - "Eh, water is still kind of cold don't you think?"
(me) - "Yep...not too cold for you though."
(son) - "I don't know."
(me) - "You still wanting to use my car this weekend?"
(son) - "Never mind...I'll get em."
(me) - "I'll get you a towel. Thanks son!"

If only he was old enough to drive...I coiuld have used that...instead the fart came out and laughed as I was struggling to catch my breath...His mother on the outside side swiped the side of his head and told him not to poke the polar bear!!! Mind you she really said polar bear too! :grrrr:

frustratedpoolmom said:
OMG you are out of your mind. LOL
Now when you are recovering from hypothermia tonight... nothing a little Raz won't cure :mrgreen: :cheers:

I swam before you did!!!Nananananaaaana :party: Thanks for not being too hard on me...Good thing we had 6 days of upper 70s and low 80s last week...10 degrees doesn't seem like much...but I would rather it have been 62 than 52...

OMG! :shock:

I'd of been in there too savin my liner, cold or not! Those bleach spots are ooooooogly!

How's yer beer? :mrgreen:

cubbybeave08 said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Now when you are recovering from hypothermia tonight... nothing a little Raz won't cure :mrgreen: :cheers:

I swam before you did!!!Nananananaaaana :party: Thanks for not being too hard on me...Good thing we had 6 days of upper 70s and low 80s last week...10 degrees doesn't seem like much...but I would rather it have been 62 than 52...

Can you call it swiming if you're digging out Trichlor tabs from the bottom of the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been in twice at that temp...once with the steps going in, once getting them out...no way my hubby would do that...you're a good man!

Last night I was making holes with a large nail in the railing of my steps to squirt bleach into it..cuz I'm OCD like that now...(thanks TFP!) and I hit the nail head wrong, it flipped up and landed smack in the center of the pool....no it didn't make a hole cuz the water slowed its descent to the bottom.

9 year old was only too happy to jump in and grab said nail for mamma...water was 66 yesterday evening with air temp of ohhhh, 56? by that time. She promptly got in the spa to warm up..it took HER breath away. Poor kid, two nights ago I dropped a skimmer plug under the deck. I lowered her through the skimmer access hole, she grabbed it, and I pulled her back out.

Now, when I say, 'hey, can you do me a favor?' she will want to know what it is ahead of time before agreeing.... :mrgreen:

PHXAZ said:
cubbybeave08 said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

Can you call it swiming if you're digging out Trichlor tabs from the bottom of the pool?

I call it swimming...I was in goggles and full diving to the bottom scooping up hand fulls of tablets. I would call it swimming...Not fun swimming, but necessary swimming!

poolgirl22 said:
I've been in twice at that temp...once with the steps going in, once getting them out...no way my hubby would do that...you're a good man!

Last night I was making holes with a large nail in the railing of my steps to squirt bleach into it..cuz I'm OCD like that now...(thanks TFP!) and I hit the nail head wrong, it flipped up and landed smack in the center of the pool....no it didn't make a hole cuz the water slowed its descent to the bottom.

9 year old was only too happy to jump in and grab said nail for mamma...water was 66 yesterday evening with air temp of ohhhh, 56? by that time. She promptly got in the spa to warm up..it took HER breath away. Poor kid, two nights ago I dropped a skimmer plug under the deck. I lowered her through the skimmer access hole, she grabbed it, and I pulled her back out.

Now, when I say, 'hey, can you do me a favor?' she will want to know what it is ahead of time before agreeing.... :mrgreen:

Poolgirl...it is not OCD it is called sparklypoolitis...and you definitely have it...I congratulate you for it

cubbybeave08 said:
poolgirl22 said:

Poolgirl...it is not OCD it is called sparklypoolitis...and you definitely have it...I congratulate you for it

Thanks Beave...I'm a happy pool owner. This year I'll be doing more :cheers: and less :rant:

poolgirl22 said:

poolgirl22 what is the point of putting bleach under the steps? Do I need to be doing this? My water stays sparkling clear year round, would you still get algae under it? Sorry if it seems like I am threadjacking but it caught my eye.

AG pool steps, like wedding cake steps, have a reputation for being notorious hiding places for algae spots - as the circulation is poor. There are many tips throughout the forum for improving circulation and chlorine levels under them. IF you aren't having issues I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

jeremydu said:
poolgirl22 said:

poolgirl22 what is the point of putting bleach under the steps? Do I need to be doing this? My water stays sparkling clear year round, would you still get algae under it? Sorry if it seems like I am threadjacking but it caught my eye.

My steps were the source of many problems last year and now that I've figured out why I've become the algae police...lol..plus, the convenient locations for my steps are not near an outlet so they get poor circulation so now I know I have to be even more diligent about their care.

I had foul water in the handle of my wedding cake steps so in the process of cleaning them AGAIN before putting them back in the water, I poked holes into a couple key locations so the water would a)drain out and get sanitized water into them while in the pool b) I could speed the process along by squirting pure bleach down into the spots...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.