Pool Was Devouring Chlorine

lances4803

Sep 6, 2009
TN
I recently posted that after a week of shock, I was still not passing the overnight drop test. (I found out I wasn't dilligent enough about keeping it at the target level and brushing. So I raised the shock level from 16 to 18 to give me a little buffer.)
After really getting after it, here are my numbers. I know I probably kept it at shock longer than required, but after a coyuple of weeks of battling algae, I wanted to make sure.

Am I correct that I am ready to go back to Target FC?

Constant readings:
pH 7.7
TA 100
CH 123
CYA 40

Temps 72-78 degrees

Water is crystal clear, brown and white particles collect at vinyl seams on floor during the day.

Brushing pool everyday (getting brown “dust” , pollen or dirt?, with each stroke, not visible until brushed)

Wednesday
7:30pm FC 15 CC .5 121oz bleach
10pm FC 18.5 CC 0

Thursday
6am FC 17.5 CC 0 24oz bleach
5pm FC 15 CC .5 182oz bleach and 32oz algaecide (poly)
8:30pm FC 15.5 CC 0 182oz bleach
10pm FC 17 CC 0 48oz bleach
Midnight FC 18.5 CC 0

Friday
6am FC 17.5 CC .5 24oz bleach
7:30pm FC 9.5 CC .5 411oz bleach
10pm FC 15.5 CC 0 182oz bleach
Midnight FC 19.5 CC .5 (overshot my target of 18)

Saturday
6am FC 19.5 CC .5

You passed the overnight test last night and your cc is .5, so you should be done shocking :goodjob:

Time to let the FC drift down to maintenance range. :-D

Suggest you keep an eye on the brown/white particles collecting at the seams and keep them brushed up to let the filter take it out.

Suggest you keep an eye on the brown/white particles collecting at the seams and keep them brushed up to let the filter take it out.
Yeah, I agree. In fact, that sounds suspiciously like a little more dead algae that you're killing.

That you held the FC overnight, though, would indicate you've got virtually all of it.

Like butterfly, I would let it drift back dowqn to maintenance range.

Nice work!! :party: :party:

Okay, this is a relief. I should have bought stock in Clorox before this episode.
This is my first year with this pool and everything has been a learning lesson. So, next year should be much easier getting it opened.
Thanks all, and thank you Pool School!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.