Spinal injury

Gooserider

LifeTime Supporter
Split off of this topic. JasonLion
I agree, I wrote in my own values, not to mention having them automatically figured for me every time by the pool calculator...

On another subject, which I'm sure needs to be moved to a different location, but I need some additional advice on rather specialized pool equipment... About a month ago, I had a very serious accident while doing some wood cutting - a big chunk of tree fell on me. The gory details can be found by searsching on my handle over on Hearth.com, but the bottom line is that in addition to a bunch of broken bones that will heal in time, I am also now a "T-5, ASIA-B" parapelegic, with limited feeling, but no motor control from just above the waist down... Currently I'm sitting in the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston, MA, and probably will be for the next 4-6 weeks while I learn how to deal with my radically changed way of life...

Spinal inujuries are a major mystery, and nobody knows how much, what or when I will get better, though there are some reasons to hope that I might eventually get some function back.

I know that swimming is supposed to be good therapy for spinal stuff, and other such injuries, and since we have one, I'd like to be able to take advantage of it... I am interested in seeing and learning suggestions about how to make use of our pool, especially how best to get in and out of it...

My time online is limited between my bodies increased demand for sleep, the way that even the simplest activities of body care take longer, and the time I spend in therapy sessions, so I may be slow to respond at times, but I WILL get to everything eventually....

Gooserider

I agree, but gads that hoist is expensive... Seems like any time you start saying "human lift" or "medical" or "handicap" they start tacking a bunch of extra zeroes on the end of the pricetag (let alone the zeroes added by the pool store :( ). I'm sort of wondering if anyone has done much with "home brew" solutions that have more reasonable price tags...

I've been starting to think more about Harbor Freight manual hoisting equipment, sched 40 steel pipe and designs coming from children's swingsets and the like... Wondering if any TFP members might have had to solve this sort of problem and found budget ways of doing so...

Gooserider

goose...sorry to hear about the injury. I recently saw an article on yahoo (right be fore the 4/15 tax deadline), that someone deducted the entire cost of their pool on their tax return because their doc suggested it would benefit them medically. It got challenged in an audit and the tax court eventually ruled in the individuals favor....perhaps your doc can prescribe the hoist?

dmanb2b said:
goose...sorry to hear about the injury. I recently saw an article on yahoo (right be fore the 4/15 tax deadline), that someone deducted the entire cost of their pool on their tax return because their doc suggested it would benefit them medically. It got challenged in an audit and the tax court eventually ruled in the individuals favor....perhaps your doc can prescribe the hoist?

Maybe, but it would be difficult, considering that it is the GF's house, and her pre-existing pool, and we aren't married (and have been happily UN-married for 16+ years so far...) This has advantages and disadvantages in a lot of ways, but from a legal standpoint we essentially don't "exist" for each other's tax purposes and the like...

Gooserider

Ouch!

I can visualize some things, but a lot depends on the setup. I have a friend who is in way worse condition than you from a motorcycle crash. His upper body is now incredibly strong. I could see some parallel bars sort of like stair handrails leading down into the pool. You pull up between in your chair, lift yourself out and walk yourself down. It may be a few months before you're strong enough to do that, though.

Another possibility would be to build a sort of inclined track out of plastic lumber and use a cheap electric winch - harbor freight type as you mentioned - to pull yourself in and out. A crappy chair could be used, or look for one of those gardener scooters. Even some kiddie ride-on made out of blow-molded plastic. You actually wouldn't even have to go all the way to the pool floor, just low enough that you can swim off. Might want to look for a 12V winch, put a deep cycle battery to it and a trickle charger. That isolates you from the 110V, and gives you a margin of safety should the power go out.

I'll think more on this...

Another idea: a ladder on an incline aka monkey bars! Roll under it, reach up, lift out and swing like a monkey over the pool. Going in is easy - just let go (put it over the deep end). Getting out, swim over to the low end, reach up and grab hold, climb on out, then lower yourself into the chair.

Richard320 said:
Ouch!

I can visualize some things, but a lot depends on the setup. I have a friend who is in way worse condition than you from a motorcycle crash. His upper body is now incredibly strong. I could see some parallel bars sort of like stair handrails leading down into the pool. You pull up between in your chair, lift yourself out and walk yourself down. It may be a few months before you're strong enough to do that, though.

Another possibility would be to build a sort of inclined track out of plastic lumber and use a cheap electric winch - harbor freight type as you mentioned - to pull yourself in and out. A crappy chair could be used, or look for one of those gardener scooters. Even some kiddie ride-on made out of blow-molded plastic. You actually wouldn't even have to go all the way to the pool floor, just low enough that you can swim off. Might want to look for a 12V winch, put a deep cycle battery to it and a trickle charger. That isolates you from the 110V, and gives you a margin of safety should the power go out.

I'll think more on this...

Hmmm... Thats a different approach than what I was thinking of... I had thought of doing a frame like a kids swingset over one corner of the pool and the deck, made from sched 40 or possibly stronger pipe, with a "crane trolley" on top of it, and attaching a chain-falls type hoist to it, along with a line to allow pulling the trolley to either the pool end or the deck end of the frame - put a sling on the falls, and use that to pull me out of my chair, trolley to the pool, and lower in, then reverse process to get out... Presumably no assistance needed, and no electric with it's associated hassles...

Your idea also sounds workable, have to think about whether it is better to have the lift coming from above or below...

Gooserider

Oh Gooserider! I am so sorry to hear of this. I wish you a speedy recovery. Please, take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.