do i need a scratch coat on the bond beam for cultured stone

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Hoping to get a quick answer because I'll be starting in about 30 minutes. If anyone can answer this it would be much appreciated. The shotcrete is pretty rough stuff. I'm wondering if I need a scratch coat or not before I apply the cultured stone. Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming the cultured stone is going to be out of the water (on raised bond beam). I would float out the face of the beam first, and I would apply a waterproofing agent as well. That will give you a flat, waterproofed face to adhere to. Make sure the waterproofing agent will not repel the thinset material when you set the "stone". Also, use a "full flex" type thinset to set the "stone", and back-butter the "stone" before you stick it also.

Re: do i need a scratch coat on the bond beam for cultured s

In case anyone else is wondering... I started this before the replies came in so I did it "my" way. I used Mac Mortar VBM. This is a type S mortar blend designed for mfg. stone. They have a couple different types for different substrates and climates. I just went with the regular stuff. Going on 1 year now and have not had a single issue. I did not use any waterproofing and I did not float it. I simply back buttered the heck out of it and stuck it on. Even applying it as thick as I did, I still used way less than what the instructions suggest as a sq. ft. coverage. I bought 6 bags and only used 3 or 4. I did not grout my joints because I was going for the tight stacked ledgestone look. I did use a little bit of the mortar with a grout bag to fill in a couple of the larger gaps but that was purely cosmetic. I have not sealed the stone yet because I was lazy and now am waiting for the pool to get warm enough so I can get in there to do it. With the exception of the spa spillover, I have not had any problems with the stone discoloring or getting the white calcium deposits that everyone said the fake stone would get. That's saying a lot for california's hard water. The waterfalls have no white stuff at all. The spillway is only slight, not a big deal at all. I think it will come right off with a little brushing. So far I would say, don't let anyone talk you out of "the fake stuff." No regrets here. I liked it so much I used it on my living room fireplace(Actually I should say, I made the GF do it, lol). And am going to be applying the same stuff to the front of my house to update the old used brick look.

Attachments

• 3c.jpg
    3c.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 3f.jpg
    3f.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 75
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.