Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: do i need a scratch coat on the bond beam for cultured stone

1. Back To Top    #1

do i need a scratch coat on the bond beam for cultured stone

Hoping to get a quick answer because I'll be starting in about 30 minutes. If anyone can answer this it would be much appreciated. The shotcrete is pretty rough stuff. I'm wondering if I need a scratch coat or not before I apply the cultured stone. Thanks in advance.
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, grey plaster with 8' raised spa
    Jandy PlusHP Pump 2 HP Dual Speed
    Sta-Rite 450 Sq. ft. Cartridge Filter
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater
    Jandy Aqualink RS-8 One Touch
    Savi Melody 12v LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: do i need a scratch coat on the bond beam for cultured stone

I'm assuming the cultured stone is going to be out of the water (on raised bond beam). I would float out the face of the beam first, and I would apply a waterproofing agent as well. That will give you a flat, waterproofed face to adhere to. Make sure the waterproofing agent will not repel the thinset material when you set the "stone". Also, use a "full flex" type thinset to set the "stone", and back-butter the "stone" before you stick it also.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: do i need a scratch coat on the bond beam for cultured s

In case anyone else is wondering... I started this before the replies came in so I did it "my" way. I used Mac Mortar VBM. This is a type S mortar blend designed for mfg. stone. They have a couple different types for different substrates and climates. I just went with the regular stuff. Going on 1 year now and have not had a single issue. I did not use any waterproofing and I did not float it. I simply back buttered the heck out of it and stuck it on. Even applying it as thick as I did, I still used way less than what the instructions suggest as a sq. ft. coverage. I bought 6 bags and only used 3 or 4. I did not grout my joints because I was going for the tight stacked ledgestone look. I did use a little bit of the mortar with a grout bag to fill in a couple of the larger gaps but that was purely cosmetic. I have not sealed the stone yet because I was lazy and now am waiting for the pool to get warm enough so I can get in there to do it. With the exception of the spa spillover, I have not had any problems with the stone discoloring or getting the white calcium deposits that everyone said the fake stone would get. That's saying a lot for california's hard water. The waterfalls have no white stuff at all. The spillway is only slight, not a big deal at all. I think it will come right off with a little brushing. So far I would say, don't let anyone talk you out of "the fake stuff." No regrets here. I liked it so much I used it on my living room fireplace(Actually I should say, I made the GF do it, lol). And am going to be applying the same stuff to the front of my house to update the old used brick look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, grey plaster with 8' raised spa
    Jandy PlusHP Pump 2 HP Dual Speed
    Sta-Rite 450 Sq. ft. Cartridge Filter
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater
    Jandy Aqualink RS-8 One Touch
    Savi Melody 12v LED lights