Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I have a serious problem

1. Back To Top    #1

I think I have a serious problem

I decided to open my pool today and when I went out there I smelled a very foul odor. Upon pulling the cover back I discovered a dead animal in the water. I pulled it out and disposed of it, but now I need some advice. Do I need to completely drain my pool? What do I do now??
    Inground Pool/Spa 11,400 Gallons: Sq Ftg 412
    Aqua Pure 1400 Chlorinator: Aqualink RS controller
    Pentair Whisperflo Pump 1 HP EE-2 Speed
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 SF Filter
    2 inch plumbing: 1 Skimmer:
    Sunny South Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think I have a serious problem

You should finish opening, get the pump running, remove all of the debris you can, and shock the pool. Shocking should take care of it, no need to drain the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't believe I'd drain it - you can sanitize that water. Chlorine is your best friend. You'll need to elevate your FC to shock level for your pool. Get us a reading on your FC, CC, ph, TA, CYA, and CH levels and post them here. What kind and size pool do you have? What kind of filter? And how does the water look? If you get us this info, we'll help you clear this up.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

Since no one else is going to ask....

What animal was it???

18x36 In-ground Vinyl, 24,000 gallons.
    Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward.
    SWG
    Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

I had a dog in mine when opening it for the first time

Chlorine, remove as much dead matter as possible and more chlorine. That cleared it up for me.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

6. Back To Top    #6

Once you’ve pulled out everything you can see, run the filter long enough to turn the water over half-a-dozen times and shocked the water, it is no different from your fill water. After all, hasn’t your fill water also been in contact with dead animals (and worse) before it was filtered and sanitized?
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by denisbaldwin

Oh no! Your own dog? How awful, regardless of whose dog.

No fence? No steps for the poor thing to get out?
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by denisbaldwin

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    Oh no! Your own dog? How awful, regardless of whose dog.
    Not mine, thankfully. The pool had been neglected for 3+ years before I got to it. The fence around it had all but fallen down. There was so much trash in it and this poor dog was just saturated in leaves and filth. No one in the neighborhood claimed it when I went door to door to ask about it, so it may have been a stray or someone intentionally drowning it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    No fence? No steps for the poor thing to get out?
    Steps are there and intact. That's why I think it was either dead before it got there or someone forced it's demise.

I don't think I've ever felt sicker than when I found that I have 3 little chis of my own and this little dead dog (perhaps a yorkie?) really hit home. My dogs, while not fond of the water, do swim and seem to do fine in it. I can't even imagine what would happen if one of them got hurt.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh Denis, that must have been a terrible find! An acquaintance lost his dog as a result of a drowning accident in their backyard pool. He thought his mother had come to get the dog for company when it wasn't in the house when he got home after work. Turns out the dog had somehow gotten out and got under the pool cover, then couldn't find its way out. This story gave me nightmares for a long time and is one of the reasons why we do not cover our pool.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.