Will Dogs Swimming Cause Numbers To Rise?

Aug 7, 2008
DFW Texas
This is our first season with our new ig pool. Our 2 yr old lab has made the pool her own and loves jumping in and swimming, even when no one is in the pool. My question is does a dog cause any of the chem numbers to rise or fall? Do I need to take any extra care with FC or any other pool balancing? We clean the skimmers and polaris cleaner about once a day or every other day to get all the dog hair out.
Also with regard to backwashing. We have a 60 DE filter on the system PB said to only back wash once a month, should I do it more often with a dog in the pool daily?

We love the dog in the pool with us, she is part of the family and really has a ball with it. She knows where all the step outs are and has never had an issue getting around and out of the pool.

Thanks,
JD

If there would be no one else swimming at the time, it may cause you to use a tiny bit more chlorine.

As far as backwashing, you only do that when your pressure goes up a prescribed amount. Make a note of your filter pressure right after you backwash and add DE, and then keep an eye on it. When it goes up (?? I am honestly not sure by how much) THEN you backwash.

You might want to consider using skimmer socks to also limit the amount of dog hair going through your plumbing...

Yep, what TMQ said. Also, depending on what all she (your lab) drags into the pool with her and leaves there, she may indeed cause a little drop in FC.

If she splashes around a lot, she may also cause your pH to rise a little faster.

She sounds like a lot of fun!

We have some members that have several dogs that swim often and they will probably be along soon to give you some real life experiences :-D

The Mermaid Queen said:
As far as backwashing, you only do that when your pressure goes up a prescribed amount. Make a note of your filter pressure right after you backwash and add DE, and then keep an eye on it. When it goes up (?? I am honestly not sure by how much) THEN you backwash.
The manual for my filter says backwash after 8-10 PSI rise.
--paulr

Our German shepherds swim every single day. We have not noticed any change in water balance. In all truth, I'd rather have dogs than kids in my pool. Dogs don't pee in it.

The dog hair is another matter. Be sure to run your pump after the dog's been in and clean out the skimmer basket. We use a PoolSkim to catch the dog hair because the skimmer simply could not keep up.

Also, please make sure your dog can always exit the pool, i.e., that she cannot get tangled up in the cleaner hose or ropes strung across the pool or any such thing.

We had four Labradors in our pool every day last season and our experience was the same as AnnaK's...no change in balance because of the dogs. A skimmer sock or something similar is essential to keep the hair under control. If your dog carries dirt into the pool on her feet, you should consider having her walk through a shallow pan or baby pool to rinse her feet before she swims.

My dog swims too and even gets out to pee. It's the greatest thing! :mrgreen:

I don't notice change in chemical levels when Casey swims. :goodjob:

I run a dog swimming pool in CA; and after a 10-dog day, I normally see a slight rise in pH and a decrease in chlorine. I have been told that each time a 'new' dog gets in, its equivalent to 17-20 people. However, I'm not sure what it would be for the same dog getting in every day!

I use the filter socks on my basket filters and on my intakes, (a slightly raised metal circle) for my swim jets, I use knee high nylons to cover them.

Have fun!
Cathy
www.therexcenter.com

therexcenter said:
I run a dog swimming pool in CA; and after a 10-dog day, I normally see a slight rise in pH and a decrease in chlorine. I have been told that each time a 'new' dog gets in, its equivalent to 17-20 people. However, I'm not sure what it would be for the same dog getting in every day!

I use the filter socks on my basket filters and on my intakes, (a slightly raised metal circle) for my swim jets, I use knee high nylons to cover them.

Have fun!
Cathy
http://www.therexcenter.com

Doggie swim center. How wonderful. :-D

I've always had swimming large and GIANT dogs. Last year we acquired three new puppies who spend the whole day getting in and out of pool, running and stirring up dust, and then dragging it back in to pool; for hours. As I just switched from ionization to BBB last year I have nothing to compare but my numbers never seemed unreasonable. I just have more sand/silt/clay/dust to deal with than if they weren't swimming. But, hey, the pool is for the dogs.

My Mastiffs have never been big shedders, nor the Rotties, but my daughter's Lab was. Her hair would fill the skimmer, with sock, really fast. (It's my understanding that GSDs are one of the worst shedders.) My Labradoodles don't shed nearly as much a Lab. I do get hair though so I use the Pool Skim (or two in spring and fall) and skimmer sock which clears the hair out in no time.

Word of caution:

Daughter's Lab was a very enthusiastic retriever. One day one of us threw the floating Kong too close to the other side. She took a flying leap and hit the other side with her mouth breaking one of her canines. :cry: We are much more careful now.

New puppies, Austrailian Cattle Monsters, are starting their "where to get out" lessons this week when the rain clears up. :party:

gg=alice

Thanks for all the feed back. Yes she does know where all the step outs are in the pool. And thanks for the heads up about making sure she does not jump into the pool near a wall. She loves to run and jump in after her ball, so I'll have to make sure the wife or I are the only ones that throw it in and that it goes in the middle of the pool. She does get really excited and I could see her jumping and accidentally hitting something.
Is it weird for dogs to dive and swim under water? She is a white lab, we have had labs over the years but I never saw one that liked to swim under water. She will go 4-6 under water then come up for air, it's the weirdest thing.
We also have a 13 year old Aussie Shepard she is not much of a water dog but does like to sit on the tanning ledge and cool off.

Thanks again for all the replies.
JD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.