Do I have a leak?

vapool

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Pool was started up yesterday...went out this am to clean skimmers and backwash (filter was showing 40 psi :shock: ). When I turned filter to backwash position (sand filter, Pentair TR100), I heard a lot of gurgling and pump basket drained of water (Pentair Whisperflo). I then shut off pool valves and went to fill pump basket with water...it reached a level of about 3/4 way up and then just maintained that level despite me continuing to fill with water. Of course, pool company is closed today. Am I doing something wrong/missing something or does it sound like there's a leak somewhere in the equipment area? Thanks for any and all advice!

Do you need to add water to the pool? I know that with my AGP if I don't have at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the skimmer face covered with water...I.E. if the water level isn't high enough, my pump will start to prime, but then it sucks all the water out of the skimmer and the pump basket area drains...then it starts to prime all over again. If I let it drop below half way up the skimmer face the same thing happens. A half an inch is enough to allow this to happen...I don't know if this is the cause...but it seems similar to what happens when my water level is too low.

Ok...hubby just came home and restarted everything and now it seems to be working fine. Must just be me :) Thanks for your assist and will post again if it acts up again...

Well, I thought everything was working okay when hubby started it back up, but then we noticed a HUGE water loss from the pool (about 2 inches over 24 hours in 60-degree, low-humidity weather). And, of course, the water was still draining from the pump basket every time the pump shut off. Called the pool company out and they found a leak in the pipe joint going into (or coming out of...I'm not sure) the heat pump. I'm surprised we didn't see the leak ourselves, but there were a lot of leaves/mulch on the ground that was absorbing. Fortunately an easy fix.

vapool said:
Well, I thought everything was working okay when hubby started it back up, but then we noticed a HUGE water loss from the pool (about 2 inches over 24 hours in 60-degree, low-humidity weather). And, of course, the water was still draining from the pump basket every time the pump shut off. Called the pool company out and they found a leak in the pipe joint going into (or coming out of...I'm not sure) the heat pump. I'm surprised we didn't see the leak ourselves, but there were a lot of leaves/mulch on the ground that was absorbing. Fortunately an easy fix.

Good to see it wasn't anything too serious. Did they check the heat pump to make sure it was working properlyafter the fix?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.