Bubbles coming out of return

deanchat

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 19, 2008
Tidewater, VA
Greetings,

My setup was working fine until yesterday when winds blew a jillion helicopter-thingies from the trees into my pool and clogged my skimmer basket. Things were running for several hours with very reduced water flow. I cleaned the skimmer and the pumps baskets and started back up. Now I have some bubbles coming out of one of my returns. Also, the air bubble at the top of the pump basket container (you can see it through the clear dome lid) is much bigger and turbulent. The pump basket bubble used to be about the size of a quarter, now it is much larger. I took the lid off and reseated it but that did not help. Any ideas? Could my pump be messed up from this or is it still possible it is the pump basket top or something else?

Thanks!
Dean

Dean, two simple things to try...one I get bubbles frequently...check your connections? at the oulet from the filter and the inlet to the filter...Do you see water leaking...your increased pressure might have caused added pressure on your connections there and you are drawing air. THis is the reason you have bubbles. Somewhere you have air coming into your system...The other thing to try if you don't see drips from your connections is to take your pump basket lid off and pull the rubber ring out of there and re lube it. You should do this frequently...It keeps the cover seal strong. THe other thing is simple...and don't think I am being smart...but did you bleed the air out of the filter after you reseated everything after cleaning the basket out? Sometimes there is enough air in there to keep things from working right. Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the info about bleeding the filter, I hadn't thought of that. It didn't do anything in this situation, but I will keep it in mind in the future. My problem turned out to be the seal on the pump basket top, it had a couple of small striations that were apparently aggravated by the stress of running the system with little water flow. Luckily, I had a (new) spare laying around so I changed it out and all is well.

Thanks!
Dean

deanchat said:
Thanks for the info about bleeding the filter, I hadn't thought of that. It didn't do anything in this situation, but I will keep it in mind in the future. My problem turned out to be the seal on the pump basket top, it had a couple of small striations that were apparently aggravated by the stress of running the system with little water flow. Luckily, I had a (new) spare laying around so I changed it out and all is well.

Thanks!
Dean

Dean,

Glad I could help...I had a really bad time last year getting my pump to prime it was because I had leaks on both my pump side and my outlet side of my filter and I didn't grease my filter ring very well. Someone at the pool store showed me how to take it out...I greased it up and used a tube of silicone on the leaks...temp fix...

This year I re plumbed everything going into and out of the pump and into and out of the filter...used two things of tape for my threads, but no leaks this year, and the pump primes almost immediately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.