Can I use Boric acid from a pottery supply company?

I intend to call first, at the very least I want to be sure they have enough in stock. I just wondered if there is anything else I should confirm before I dump it in my pool.

I imagine that all of their info about the stuff will be pottery related and they'll just look at me funny if I sayI want to swim in it.

If my numbers are correct boric acid at $33 for 25 lb is more expensive than borax - at least around here. 20 mule team borax costs $2.98 for a 4.75 lb box at my local Wal-Mart. If my formula weights are correct (61.8 for boric acid and 381.2 for borax) the cost per lb of boron is $7.76 for the boric acid and $5.71 for the borax.

Don't forget to add the cost of Muriatic Acid needed to compensate for the rise in pH from Borax. Boric Acid is only slightly acidic while Borax is very basic. When you factor in the cost of the acid, the prices are much closer -- the boric acid may even be a little less expensive.

For 10,000 gallons, to get to 50 ppm Borates compare the following: 23.9 pounds of boric acid vs. 36.8 pounds of 20 Mule Team Borax plus 2.2 gallons of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% hydrochloric acid).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.