Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I use Boric acid from a pottery supply company?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I use Boric acid from a pottery supply company?

I think I just found a deal on Boric Acid in Seattle.

The webpage (www.seattlepotterysupply.com) doesn’t say much about their boric acid except that it is $33 for 25lbs. So is there anything I need to confirm when I go to the store?
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I use Boric acid from a pottery supply company?

I looked, but was unable to find boric acid listed anywhere on the site. Do you have a specific link?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

3. Back To Top    #3

here you go...you may try e-mailing them first

http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/...ory_Code=RMPAC
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I intend to call first, at the very least I want to be sure they have enough in stock. I just wondered if there is anything else I should confirm before I dump it in my pool.

I imagine that all of their info about the stuff will be pottery related and they'll just look at me funny if I sayI want to swim in it.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

5. Back To Top    #5

You want technical grade, or laboratory grade, boric acid. It should be 99+% pure.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If my numbers are correct boric acid at $33 for 25 lb is more expensive than borax - at least around here. 20 mule team borax costs $2.98 for a 4.75 lb box at my local Wal-Mart. If my formula weights are correct (61.8 for boric acid and 381.2 for borax) the cost per lb of boron is $7.76 for the boric acid and $5.71 for the borax.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't forget to add the cost of Muriatic Acid needed to compensate for the rise in pH from Borax. Boric Acid is only slightly acidic while Borax is very basic. When you factor in the cost of the acid, the prices are much closer -- the boric acid may even be a little less expensive.

For 10,000 gallons, to get to 50 ppm Borates compare the following: 23.9 pounds of boric acid vs. 36.8 pounds of 20 Mule Team Borax plus 2.2 gallons of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% hydrochloric acid).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"