Polaris 280 vs Mustard Algea

Apr 16, 2010
I don't currently have an automatic cleaner. I was thinking of getting a Polaris 280 because I get mustard algae really bad in the summer. Shocking doesn't work to get rid of it. Will the Polaris 28 be effective at cleaning the algae in the pool? Does it work on the walls? Thanks.

The only thing that will prevent the algae and get rid of it properly is adequate chlorine. A pool cleaner is not going to help.

Shocking will kill mustard algae, if done properly. Have you read "How to Shock your pool" in Pool School?

If you post a full set of test results, and tell us more about your chlorinating routine, we can advise you better. :wink:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Yes. I've kept the chlorine up to 30ppm for two weeks before, and the algae always comes right back. I'm seriously considering filling in my pool because vacuuming my pool every single day in this Alabama heat/humidity isn't worth it. I was hoping the Polaris might help. Thanks.

What is your CYA level? If your CYA level is very high, then a FC of 30 might actually not be enough.

A full set of test results, and how you obtained them, will tell us more. Do you have your own kit, or do you use test strips? Do you have the Pool Store test for you?

How do you chlorinate on a daily basis? tablets?

You see, if you shock, and the FC drops back down, and the CYA level is too high, the FC present is not enough to keep algae from returning. Refer to the CYA/chlorine Chart in my sig. The higher the CYA level in your pool, the higher the FC must be to prevent it.

True mustard algae is especially resistant to "normal" levels of chlorine. So if you give us a little more information, we can help you figure this out and prevent it from happening again. :)

If you have the funds one of the robot cleaners like the Aquabot does a tremendous job of scrubbing bottom and sides. I've had the robot that cleans with jet action but the one with the big rollers scrubs much better.

I do agree that keeping balance and chlorine at proper levels is the only way to prevent it. Mustard algae is a major problem around my area. For years I used ionization which did prevent it while most people battled mustard but my pool was not sanitary because I wasn't keeping other parameters in line nor using enough sanitizer. In addition the metals stained my plaster. I switched to BBB last summer (sans Borax because of dogs drinking from pool so much) and had not one spec of any kind of algae. When others were battling mustard my pool was free and clear. I'm lazy when it comes to brushing the pool too.

gg=alice

I have the Taylor test kit. I followed this forum for years. I just got a new name because I forgot my old one. I used bbb for two years and maintained FC=3-5 (unless shocking), PH=7.4, Alk=120, CYA=40. I don't know what the deal is. Shocking kills it temporarily, but it comes right back. I got so tired of it, I just stopped cleaning/chlorinating my pool since last summer. I'm in the process of cleaning it up now, but I won't go through another summer with the algae. And $400-500 is a lot of money to invest in a cleaner if it won't help. Like I said, I'm very close to just having it filled in. I was thrilled to find this forum a few years ago only to be disappointed yet again.

Mustard algae, which can be pretty resistant to chlorine, can be reintroduced to the pool from cleaners, other equipment, toys, bathing suits, pipes and equipment, especially the filter, not thoroughly de-algaed, light niches, behind stairs, covers, etc. It may be that you have not totally removed all sources of the algae. It may take a process similar to decontaminating a spa. It may also be that you have not shocked at adequate levels for long enough.

Aggressive attack of the algae and prevention of recurrence will be astronomically less costly/trouble than "filling in the pool".

I'll bet some of our gurus will chime in to help you get rid of that major "headache" so you can get your algae free pool once and for all.

gg=alice

What I would suggest then, is try maintaining your FC levels at the "Yellow/mustard" levels according to this chart:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/chlorine-cya-chart-t2346.html

And perhaps use maintenance doses of Polyquat 60 algaecide... It might be more expensive operating this way but you may have an easier time of it. (forgive the suggestion if you have already tried these options.)

How much do you run your filter? Inadequate filtration time can lead to FC dead spots wherein algae can take hold - do you run it during peak sunlight hours?

Lastly, cuz I really want to help you figure it out :)... can you describe the algae you saw, and do you perhaps have pictures of it?

Just a thought...are you sure it's mustard algae and not heavy pollen. I thought we had MA, but turns out it's just pollen. We bought a very old, very used Aquabot Turbo on craigslist and sure enough, that takes care of the problem every time! Pictures would be great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Inadequate chlorine is the reason algae appears in a pool. If you have experienced algae growth in your pool, you have had inadequate chlorine for a long enough period for the algae to get a foothold.

The type of cleaner you use, how often you run it, or how much it costs is irrelevant to the formation or removal of algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.