Sand Filter Sand Change Schedule/Signs

Apr 16, 2010
Hi all,

This forum is great and I have gotten great ideas/solutions to maintain my pool (even with my noob status!)...strong subscriber to the BBB method...

I had a question about changing the sand in my sand filter...the pool guy who came by to my neighbor's pool noticed some particles at the bottom of my pool and mentioned that it may be time to change the filter sand. My question is how often should this sand be changed? Also, can this be a DIY project or should I hire the 'pool stealers'?

The guy wanted to charge me around $200 for doing this.

Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions

Many folks on here change there own sand. However, there is no set timeframe. How old is your sand?

You can open it up, check it for "channelling" which could allow particles to pass thru to the pool. You can also put a nylon over the return - to see if it catches anything flowing thru back to the pool.

Some also put a little pool-grade DE into the filter, to help improve filtering. You can read the "how-to" in Pool School.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

There are two schools of thought about changing sand around here. One group changes their sand ever five to seven years, while the other group never changes their sand. However, if the sand becomes clumped and lumpy and the clumps are not easily broken up it needs to be changed in any case.

Changing sand can be done by most home owners, but it isn't especially fun.

I recommend opening up a sand filter, cleaning out any debris, and resettling the sand bed every two or three years.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Many folks on here change there own sand. However, there is no set timeframe. How old is your sand?

You can open it up, check it for "channelling" which could allow particles to pass thru to the pool. You can also put a nylon over the return - to see if it catches anything flowing thru back to the pool.

Some also put a little pool-grade DE into the filter, to help improve filtering. You can read the "how-to" in Pool School.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

The pool sand in my filter is about 5 years old now...I would like to do this myself and so am going to do my research on TFP for this. The nylon cloth idea seems like a good one to see if the filter is actually putting out the particles in my pool. Thanks for the quick responses guys! This place is awesome!

JasonLion said:
There are two schools of though about changing sand around here. One group changes their sand ever five to seven years, while the other group never changes their sand. However, if the sand becomes clumped and lumpy and the clumps are not easily broken up it needs to be changed in any case.

Changing sand can be done by most home owners, but it isn't especially fun.

I recommend opening up a sand filter, cleaning out any debris, and resettling the sand bed every two or three years.

Thanks Jason. I am going to attempt to open my the sand filter (drum roll please!!!)...should I be cautious of anything in particular, other than counting and saving the screws I guess?

The only parts that are delicate are the laterals. There are pipes buried in the sand that have lots of very small holes in them which let water through but keep the sand in the filter. The laterals can crack if you bump them too sharply. So you don't want to just start shoveling out the sand, because the shovel can crack a lateral. A shop vac is a much safer approach when it comes time to remove the sand. Some sand filters have a drain plug that can be opened and the sand washed out, most need the sand removed from the top.

JasonLion said:
The only parts that are delicate are the laterals. There are pipes buried in the sand that have lots of very small holes in them which let water through but keep the sand in the filter. The laterals can crack if you bump them too sharply. So you don't want to just start shoveling out the sand, because the shovel can crack a lateral. A shop vac is a much safer approach when it comes time to remove the sand. Some sand filters have a drain plug that can be opened and the sand washed out, most need the sand removed from the top.

Wonderful! Thanks Jason. Weekend project-here I come...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.