Using pool as a geothermal heat source

Oct 20, 2009
I came across this solution that uses the pool as a heat source/sink
http://www.thermcoenergysystems.com/wha ... _hvac.html

I have seen a unit that uses the attic as a heat source and transfers this heat to the pool, but not something
that does it in the reverse.

From what I understand, in winter the heat pump takes heat from the pool to heat the house and in spring/fall it does the reverse - yes this will work only in the south.

Have any of you come across anything similar? What is your opinion?

It is used all over the country in ponds, both winter and summer, north and south, so there is no reason it wouldn't work in a pool. There is plenty of energy in even cold water to extract as heat for the house.

I have ground loop Water Furnace system, and looked into an exchanger for the pool, but none were available. I'd love to be able to take heat out of the house and use it in the pool.

While these systems can work, the times you want to heat the pool and the times you want to cool the house only match up for a few months a year in most places. During the peak of the summer you don't usually want extra heat in the pool, and in the early spring and fall you are heating both the pool and the house. Because of that, the potential energy savings is not as large as it might otherwise be, which makes if relatively difficult to pay back the capital investment.

Ponds, yes. My 10-12' deep pond stays 50-65 at the bottom just about year round. My pool does not.

I have measured the temp at the bottom of my 6' deep pool into the 30's and, of course, in the summer, around 84-88. Not much geo-thermal advantage there. a 9' pool might make some difference but I suspect not enough to justify any cost outlay.

I can see how a pond might have a more consistent temperature over a period of time than a pool would simply because pool water is circulated more, even at the deepest part.

Here is a link to a freon/water heat exchanger:http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3037/Polar-Eyes-Ti-Tech-Heat-Exchanger

In north Florida, I start running AC in house in mid March thru October. In the non-summer months, I can discharge the heat from the house a/c in to pool. That's free heat in the shoulder months, extending my swimming months from 5 months to 7.5 months, for a relatively low capital investment, practically no additional operating costs, and the house gets cooled more efficiently, by have colder freon to suck out heat from the house. This seems like a no-brainer to me. Has anyone tried this? Very little info available.
Thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.