Sand filter top valve maintenance?

Jerry

Aug 10, 2009
New Orleans
The valve handle on the top of my sand filter has become more stiff and harder to reposition over the last year or so.
Is lubricatrion on the inside of the valve needed or common?
What sort of lubricant...plumbers grease, lithium?

OK. I would take it apart (pretty easy) and inspect the "spider" gasket inside......it'll be pretty obvious when you remove the top. It may be worn or misaligned and that is likely causing your problem. Unless it looks to be in really good shape, I would replace it.

There are a couple of things that can cause issues with multi-port valves. You should open it up and check the spider gasket to be sure it is still intact and help in place properly and that the rotating valve body moves freely. Often the spider gasket gets folded over it's self and causes more friction than it should. If that happens it needs to be replaced. Also, it is possible for debris to get caught in the valve, and that can also cause it to be difficult to turn. While you are at it all of the moving surfaces can be lubed with a silicone based pool/plumbers lubricant.

Hum, duplicated some of what duraleigh said, we were both posting at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.