So...Where are the clouds? (New Plaster)

bluenoise

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2007
Alamo, CA
Hi, folks-

I've just gotten my pool replastered (finally, since the gunite was showing in spots). The crew finished the application Tuesday at 1:30 PM and started filling it up. It finished filling last night (Wednesday) around midnight. This morning, I turned on the pump, checked the pH (8.2) and added enough acid to target 7.2. I set it so that the drain was pulling instead of the skimmer. I then began sweeping. As I swept, I expected to see clouds of plaster dust. Instead, I saw barely anything. In fact, after I had swept the entire pool as thoroughly as possible, the water was still quite clear.

Is that normal? Am I not applying enough pressure or using the wrong type of brush?

Also, I noticed a small stain (roughly 1.25" diameter) on the steps and another on the bottom. I've circled them in the picture below. Brushing them had no effect, but I'm wondering if it's something to ask my PB about or if it will go away over time on its own. The black and white flecks in the picture are floating on the surface. I apologize for the poor quality of the photo. It's from my iPhone.

Thanks!

pool_stain.jpg

Its possible they put something in when they filled the water to reduce the amount of plaster dust. I would ask the PB about that when he comes to inspect the spots (which look a little like a rust/iron spot to me...)

Is there away to adjust for a little skimmer action? Thats an awful lot of stuff floating on the surface :shock:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Its possible they put something in when they filled the water to reduce the amount of plaster dust. I would ask the PB about that when he comes to inspect the spots (which look a little like a rust/iron spot to me...)

Is there away to adjust for a little skimmer action? Thats an awful lot of stuff floating on the surface :shock:

They didn't add anything the to water, but I'll call him about the spots. I'm concerned the plaster set up too quickly. Is that possible? The weather is mild (around 50 degrees) and there was cloud cover while it was filling. The water is about 55 degrees.

The skimmer is still drawing a little water. The floating stuff is at the far end from the skimmer and the pump had only been running about 15 minutes when I snapped the pic, so (hopefully) it will eventually get caught up with the floating stuff.

When I swept last night, I had to do it with the light on as it was pretty late when I got home. With the aid of the light, I did see some sand-like particles swirling around the brush. Is that the dust I should be seeing? I was expecting it to look like the clouds I used to get when the plaster was old (very fine particles).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.