Impossible to replace Jandy AquaPure 1400? (See Photos)

j4j

Apr 15, 2010
I have an AquaPure 1400 purchased and installed 2006. It has the 2-port cell. The installers cut all the plumbing to exactly fit the salt cell. There is no extra pipe to cut off in the replacement process.

The sensor is installed directly into a T coupling which touches a valve on one end, and the salt cell on the other end - no extra pipe to cut off and replace it.

I am getting 120 and 121 error codes. In older posts I saw that Pool Clown recommended replacing the sensor or the cell.

I purchased a new 3-port cell, but it is made for larger diameter pipes than ours. The manual says the only way to install it is cut and replace the pipes.

The sensor that came with the 3-port cell is a different size from the old one, ditto on replacing it.

If the only way to get either a new sensor or 3-port cell installed is to cut and replace pipe, at least half of the above ground pipes will need to be replaced. I would have to hire a plumber or pool service company to do this. We've already blown our budget with the purchase of the 3-port cell.

Does anyone know where to find a new 2-port cell and/or sensor? Any other ideas on how to solve this problem?
[attachment=1:2czlakft]Salt Cell Plumbing 1.JPG[/attachment:2czlakft] Black box on left is heater, Filter on right. At bottom of photo "Flow" is a T-connector with the sensor plugged in ("T" faces ground)

[attachment=0:2czlakft]Salt Cell Plumbing 2.JPG[/attachment:2czlakft] T-connector labeled "Flow" is touching the valve at the bottom of the photo (sorry the backwash hose is covering where they meet)

Attachments

• Salt Cell Plumbing 1.JPG
    Salt Cell Plumbing 1.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 393
  • Salt Cell Plumbing 2.JPG
    Salt Cell Plumbing 2.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 363
Re: Impossible to replace Jandy AquaPure 1400?

Welcome to TFP!

I haven't seen any of the old cells for a while. They might be out there somewhere, but a quick Internet search doesn't turn up anything.

If you take a picture of you plumbing setup and post it we might be able to suggest something. The new cell doesn't have to go exactly where the old one was. You could leave the old one in place, disconnected, and put the new one somewhere that is easier to plumb (if there is such a place).

Re: Impossible to replace Jandy AquaPure 1400?

it's doable

what you'll need to do is cut the pipe where it joins the valve (or the T coupling)
and then use a heat gun to slowly heat up the piece of pipe left inside the valve (or the T coupling) to un-glue it and us epliers to get it out. generally because the valves have thicker walls than a pipe a pipe will come off

then you can use sanding paper to polish inside the valve and get the glue remains out and glue the new pipe in

Welcome to TFP!!

The replumb isn't very daunting at all :cool: You'd need 1) 2" coupling, 1) 2 1/2" coupling, 1) 2 1/2" to 2" reducing bushing, the 2 1/2 unions for the new cell and < 1' of 2' PVC pipe. And, of course, PVC glue and primer/ solvent.

If you're interested, I can easily tell you how the make the changeout - it'll take you less than 1/2 hour to do it :-D

You will be surprised at how easy this is to DIY :party:

I'm with Waste. The Jandy Valve is made to accept either 2" pipe to the inside of the valve, or 2.5" coupling to the outside of the valve. Therefore, once you cut off the flow switch tee, cut if as flush to the valve as you can. As Ted said, use the 2.5" Coupling to glue to the outside of the diverter valve, reduce to 2", then 2" straight pipe.

Once you cut off the old unions, it seems like there would enough space where the old cell was to put the new cell in.

It's a very easy fix you can chip off the old unions and glue the new on.. Or cut the unions off get an over under fitting which will glue over the old coupling... Coming out of the heater looks like you have plenty of room to do whatever...

Here is a pic of and over under fitting.
9a2a283b.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.