Please help with test results and some questions.

Apr 12, 2010
Perry, Michigan
I was able to get everything running on my pool yesterday afternoon. I waited a few hours and did the testing. I tried to figure out the volume of my pool by using a pool volume calculator online. I don't know for sure how deep my pool is because we just purchased the house and the deep end is especially difficult to figure out. I believe it's 19' x 38' with a 4' shallow end and maybe a 9' deep end. That comes out to around 35,000 gallons (wow, that is a LOT of water!).

I tried using the calculator on here to figure out how much chlorine to put in, but I don't know for sure that I got it right. From looking at the Pool School it looks like I'm supposed to shock the pool and keep shocking it fairly frequently.
What is the ideal number of times a day to shock the pool?
Do I test the water between each time I shock the pool?

I put 2 gallon of the 12% bleach in my pool this morning about 8:15 and let the pump run about 3.5 hours. (I must say I am a bit surprised at how much the pool has cleared up after just 2 treatments... it doesn't look quite so swamp like anymore)

I just tested the water after I turned the pump off and here are my results:

pH 7.5
FC 5
CC 1
TC 6
TA 130
CH 150

What should I do from here?
How long should I leave the pump running per day?

Thanks in advance for helping me out with all of these questions.

Here are some pictures. The first two are of my pool 2 days ago and the next two are of my pool just a few minutes ago. I know I still have a long way to go, but I'm so astounded at what a difference a couple treatments of bleach makes!

100_6273.jpg

100_6274.jpg

100_6289.jpg

100_6291.jpg

trishalinn said:
I believe it's 19' x 38' with a 4' shallow end and maybe a 9' deep end. That comes out to around 35,000 gallons (wow, that is a LOT of water!).
That's a lot of water alright. I calculated about 29,000 so it's probably somewhere between the two.

trishalinn said:
I tried using the calculator on here to figure out how much chlorine to put in, but I don't know for sure that I got it right.
You put your pool gallons in the cell for that then your current numbers in the "Now" column and what you want the numbers to be in the "target" column and that will give the amounts of each chemical to add.

trishalinn said:
From looking at the Pool School it looks like I'm supposed to shock the pool and keep shocking it fairly frequently. What is the ideal number of times a day to shock the pool?
There is no ideal number of times. You do it as often as you can as much as once an hour to begin with. The more often you do it the faster it kills the algae and the sooner you're done.

trishalinn said:
Do I test the water between each time I shock the pool?
Yes, that's how you know what to put in the now column of the pool calc so you'll know how much chlorine to add each time.

trishalinn said:
I put 2 gallon of the 12% bleach in my pool this morning about 8:15 and let the pump run about 3.5 hours. (I must say I am a bit surprised at how much the pool has cleared up after just 2 treatments... it doesn't look quite so swamp like anymore)

I just tested the water after I turned the pump off and here are my results:

pH 7.5
FC 5
CC 1
TC 6
TA 130
CH 150

What should I do from here?
Keep adding chlorine according to what the pool calc tells you to.
What are you using to test with? If you don't have a good kit you really need one. You need to continue shocking until the water is clear, you have less than 1ppm FC loss overnight and you have .5 ppm CC's or less.

trishalinn said:
How long should I leave the pump running per day?
While shocking it should run 24 hours a day. Once you're done you can adjust the run times to suit your needs.

Some more newbie questions with test results and pics

Topics Merged by Moderator. Please keep all your questions in one thread, for consistency. Thanks!

Hey hey!

I'm back with more questions and test results.

I shocked my pool 4 times yesterday (and once the night before). I'm seeing visible progress. The pool still doesn't have nice clear water, so I figured I'd need to shock it again this morning since I haven't shocked it since 9pm last night. I'm just a little stumped after my test results. So... here they are

FC- 10
CC- 10
TC- 11

I've tried doing the CYA test two times, and I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but that black dot never disappears.

I'm going to go take pics and get them posted right away (if my kiddos let me!).

Oh... and is everyone having wacky weather?! In Michigan 80's yesterday, 60's today, and tomorrow 40's :?:

Your CYA will be zero unless you added it. Edit: I re-read the other posts. I'm sorry this was not explained more clearly. Sometimes CYA drops to zero over the winter, we aren't really sure why it happens in some pools and not in others. You'll need to purchase some - it's sold at Wal-mart in 3 lb containers. Use the Pool Calculator to see how many pounds you'll need. If they don't have it in stock, you can purchase it at the pool store. Look for Cyanuric Acid or Stabilizer on the label, make sure the % strength is at least 90%...)

FC + CC = TC, so your CC can't be 10 if your TC is 11....

Wacky here too, I was laying out by the pool yesterday :)

Here are a few more things I've noticed. The color of the pool seems better, but it's more cloudy today than yesterday. I could see the bottom of the pool yesterday, but not today. Yesterday there were all of these nasty slimy scummy floaty things on the top of the pool. They reappeared faster than I could clean them out with the net. This morning they are gone.... incredible disappearing floaty things?!

100_6293.jpg

100_6292.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I updated my post above with regard to CYA.

If your CC is 1, you still need to shock. But I suggest this morning if you can, heading out to get some CYA so that you can protect the FC during the daytime, and then resume shocking. Eventually the CC will drop down to .5, but you still have a ways to go yet.

Remember, brush, brush brush!!! :)
POP - Pool Owner Patience... this will be important now, sometimes the home stretch is the hardest part :)

Here is a picture of what used to be my black swamp as of yesterday evening. I'm glad I took a picture before we spent time scrubbing everything down again because the water turned green and murky again!

It's COLD here today, but I'm going to get out there and test the water and report back in a little bit. I'm going to keep scrubbing away again today!

100_6295.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.